Governance and Policies
About the Board of Trustees
The BOARD shall be responsible for seeing that the purpose of the University is met organizationally, administratively, educationally, spiritually, socially, and financially, that adequate facilities are provided, and that a policy framework is established within which the program of the University can be developed and administered by the staff. The BOARD shall have the following prime functions:
- Leadership - the BOARD shall utilize its unique position:
- To select and support or remove the President of the University;
- To ensure that an adequate statement of mission and purpose be established;
- To assure that an adequate long range plan for the University is developed; and
- To assume personal responsibility for fund-raising activities of the University through personal giving, through developing contacts with other donors, and through a willingness to persuade others to become donors.
- Stewardship - the BOARD shall oversee the performance of the management of the University:
- To ensure that the institution utilizes the resources at its disposal to further its mission and purposes; and
- To ensure that assets are managed effectively and there are adequate safe-guards to protect the future of the University.
- Audit - the BOARD shall serve in an evaluation capacity in applying external standards to the performance of the Institution.
- To judge the academic standards of the faculty against the standards for the type of institution to which it belongs utilizing outside specialists as necessary;
- To evaluate the financial health of the institution through the traditional annual audit and through comparative data from other institutions; and
- To devise means of assessing the management performance of the administrative staff utilizing outside consultants when necessary or by redefining the annual audit to include management auditing.