Assistant Professor, Western Music
School of Arts and Sciences
Department: Communication Arts
Expected start date: Fall 2018
Deadline for applying: March 30, 2018
The Department of Communication Arts in the School of Arts and Sciences at the Lebanese American University (LAU) invites applicants to a tenure-track faculty position in Western Music at the Assistant Professor rank. The department is interested in applicants able to balance theory, research, critical inquiry, performing arts, especially western music, teach various undergraduate courses, and contribute to developing curricula and programs in the Department of Communication Arts.
- Teach on both campuses professional, research and theoretical courses in western music and other performing arts areas, from introductory to advanced levels.
- Advise and mentor students and support student production projects and activities.
- Actively engage in scholarly and artistic production in music and performing arts, particularly adaptations of Western music and performance to the Lebanese and Arab context.
- Engage in service to the university and the department, particularly related to fundraising, organizing performances, and developing new programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Doctoral degree in music arts.
- Evidence of a strong research and performance agenda and output.
- Evidence of successful and extensive university teaching of Western music.
- Evidence of creative/professional output and practical experience in the field.
- Strong international network of connections with professional musicians.
- Demonstrated ability to play a Western musical instrument at a professional level.
- Fluent in Arabic.
- Ability to play a musical instrument that complements and does not duplicate other music faculty in the department.
- Experience in Western music and other related specialized areas.
- Evidence of fund raising abilities and experience in developing and leading major performing arts projects and international programs.
- Strong international network with musicians and performing artists.
The Department of Communication Arts offers a broad-based liberal arts curriculum that balances theory, research, professional practice and critical inquiry, and prepares students to become innovative, professional, and ethical communicators ready to thrive in a rapidly evolving field and industry. The department offers programs in multimedia journalism, television and film, communication, and the performing arts. The department is dedicated to excellence in the production and diffusion of knowledge and the critical practice of media, film and the performing arts. It aims to develop civically engaged and informed citizens capable of reflecting on local and global issues. It strives to graduate ethical scholars, artists, and professionals in the various communication fields and specialties. Information about the department can be found at http://comm.lau.edu.lb
The Lebanese American University is an Equal Opportunity Employer operating in Lebanon under a charter from the Regents of the State University of New York. Information about the University can be found at http://www.lau.edu.lb
Prospective candidates should apply electronically by sending a letter of interest including a statement of teaching and research interests, an updated CV, and unofficial transcripts by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The CV should include the names, emails and phone numbers of three references. The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process.
Candidates must refer to position no. AS-18-19 in the subject line of the email.