This position is no longer open.
Associate Director of Development for Annual Fund and Proposal Writing (New York)
The Associate Director of Development for Annual Fund and Proposal Writing is responsible for creating and implementing a strategic and successful plan for the Annual Fund in North America and for serving as the key support personnel in proposal development and execution. The Associate Director of Development reports to the Director of Development at LAU NY.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In conjunction with senior staff, determine annual giving goal for North America Program
- Work collaboratively with Major Gifts and Alumni Relations officers to determine methods of engagement to encourage increased giving
- Focus on effective visual and written communication and solicitation activities within specific market segments, using a diverse range of appeal methods (direct mail, social media, etc.)
- Oversee annual giving program including reporting, analysis, new trends, market segmentation, crowdfunding & annual strategic planning
- Work collaboratively with Director of Communications to ensure consistent messaging as per university standards
- Analyze giving trends of annual donors to determine direction and plan
- Support the development of competitive funding applications by contributing to the technical, content, and reporting elements of private and public sector proposals
- Develop and administer project management system for proposals to individuals, foundations, corporations, and government agencies
- Work closely with Director of Development to design and develop program narratives and other pertinent proposal needs
- Participate in and set up stakeholder meetings as needed
- Provide selected research for proposal sources
- Assist as needed with budgeting processes and summaries
- As needed, conduct research and interview faculty, staff, and others to compose appropriate and effective copy for individual proposal and reporting materials
- Ensure the messaging is consistent with messages developed by university leadership
- Review and edit written materials to ensure quality and consistency
- Embrace the mission of LAU
- Hold the highest regard for confidentiality and high ethical standards
- Have a great degree of flexibility with the ability to manage multiple competing priorities with fluidity with the ultimate commitment and ability to meet deadlines
- Adhere to all personnel policies, procedures, and rules promulgated by LAU
- Strong communication (verbal and written) skills in English; some French or Arabic is a plus. Some understanding of Lebanon and the Middle East is preferred.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree preferred, with a concentration in English, journalism or writing strongly preferred. The position requires a minimum of 3 years’ experience in work in non-profits or higher education that included development experience (preferably in the areas of Annual Fund, Communications, and/or proposal writing) as a critical component. Proven track record of writing successful proposals required. Highly evolved oral and written communications skills are necessary, along with the ability to work collaboratively on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
Knowledge of Arabic is preferred, as is an understanding of Lebanon and the Middle East.
Experience in graphic design would be a plus. There will be occasional need for working after hours and some limited travel may be required. Cultural sensitivity and professional behavior is required at all times.
To apply: Please email cover letter and CV to: Marge Pfleiderer, Executive Director of Operations at email@example.com, with Annual Fund in the subject line.
Application deadline is March 31, 2017.
LAU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.