This position is no longer open.
Associate Writer - Beirut
The Marketing and Communications Department at the Lebanese American University is looking for an Associate Writer to join a dynamic team of multidisciplinary professionals with a common desire to contribute to the successful implementation of the university’s integrated marketing and communications initiative. This position is based in Beirut Campus with occasional commuting to Byblos campus.
- The Associate Writer must act as a key player in the development of content to showcase LAU’s strengths and achievements. The Associate Writer will develop the content for university publications, web articles, newsletter articles, and will actively participate in the development of the university’s quarterly publication, LAU Magazine & Alumni Bulletin.
- He/she will be actively involved in the editorial development of LAU print and electronic communications from concept to completion, and will strive to ensure that all communications conform to rigorous editorial standards.
- He/She will look for creative story-telling techniques that would involve addressing strategic messaging, developing engaging approaches, and adapting to the audiences’ needs. He/She will be an expert in the narration of these stories, and will input on the visual narrative.
- He/She will also input on various ways to spread these narratives – print/web stories, videos, podcasts, infographics, and other types of communications that would increase the engagement and reach.
- He/she will have strong writing and editing skills, along with previous experience in journalism and publishing. Advertising experience is a plus.
- This position will reinforce the overall mission and values of the university, support the goals of the University Advancement team and reflect LAU’s commitment to openness and transparency in both message and process.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Report on university events on campuses (Beirut and Byblos) to ensure coverage on the university’s various communication channels. Reporting duties include conducting interviews with LAU personnel and guests, performing extensive research of source materials to obtain and verify facts, and analyzing sources for accuracy of information and the most effective approach to material.
- Write news and feature articles for the LAU website and magazine in addition to other university publications.
- Write excerpts adapted for the different social media channels (in terms of approach, tonality, length, use of visual aids…).
- Copyedit documents from different university departments or from external sources.
- Plan and create appropriate publications including newsletters, pamphlets, brochures, features and foundation proposals.
- Develop integrated approaches for story-telling – including written articles, social media, audio-visual content ideas.
- Systematically archive collected information and photos as required by the Web/Managing Editor.
- Inform the Marketing and Communications Department about new initiatives, research, and upcoming events that may deserve coverage, based on information collected during fieldwork.
- Assist in fulfilling the promotion of the branding and visual identity program internally.
- Assist in proofreading and/or editing other writers’ work where needed.
- Adhere to editorial and procedural standards of the Marketing and Communications Department, and the Lebanese American University.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Holder of a Bachelor’s Degree in communication, public relations, marketing, journalism, English literature, or a related field. Advanced degree is a plus.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience
- Good writing experience in communication and public relations
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Computer proficiency (Microsoft Excel/Word/PowerPoint) and minimum Web knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- Strong ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Strong commitment to deadlines
- Self-directed and rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals
- Strong interpretation skills required
- Excellent writing skills and good communications skills
- Ability to work in a group as well as independently, particularly in coordinating and completing projects for online and print publication
- Creative and a critical thinker
- Fluency in Arabic
- Familiarity with LAU campuses, faculty, staff, students or alumni
- Familiarity with the higher education field
- Native fluency in English is highly desirable
- Basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop is an asset, as are digital photography skills
Interested candidates should email their CVs with a letter of interest to email@example.com, specifying the job title in the subject line, along with samples of their work:
- Two long-form articles (at least two pages long or approximately 800 words)
- Two short-form articles (one page long or approximately 400 words)
Closing date for accepting applications is Thursday, July 19, 2018.
CVs should include the exact month and year while listing the candidate’s professional experience and educational background. No applications will be accepted after this date, and only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
The Lebanese American University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.