Assistant Vice President for Development (New York)
An exceptional opportunity exists to join the Lebanese American University as a senior member of the University Advancement team. The Assistant Vice President for Development is responsible for the management of relationships and securing gifts with a portfolio of top prospects and donors who have the capability of making highly significant contributions to LAU and to the LAU Health Foundation.
This opportunity calls for a professional with ten or more years of progressively responsible experience in front-line fundraising and strong working knowledge of industry best practices relevant to the successful cultivation and solicitation of high-level prospects and benefactors for principal gifts. The Assistant Vice President for Development will be based at the LAU NY Headquarters and Academic Center and will report to the Vice President for University Advancement.
Duties and Responsibilities
Manage Prospect Portfolio for LAU and for LAU Health Foundation:
- Ensure the successful implementation of LAU’s mission and goals through successful solicitations and effective management of a prospect portfolio of approximately 200 prospective donors, with an emphasis on six- and seven-figure commitments
- Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward high capacity alumni, friends, and corporate and foundation prospects for the university for both outright and planned gifts
- Report to the VPUA, and work closely and collaboratively with the President, university advancement colleagues, university administrators and others to build and implement effective strategies that will lead to beneficial long-term relationships and significant gift support from these prospective donors
- Lead all aspects of the gift cycle: initiate contacts with prospective major gifts donors, develop appropriate cultivation strategies, move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure
- Maintain stewardship contacts with donors; adhere to the highest ethical standards
- Provide status reports of all projects regularly
- Manage the Prospect Management Researcher and an administrative support person
- Develop and implement a fundraising program for the LAU HF, working collaboratively with the LAU HF Board Chair and Board members to achieve established goals
- Manage private sector giving and grant opportunities, and public sector ones selectively, developing proposals as required
- Manage current LAU HF government grant collaboratively with Medical School and Hospital pertinent staff, including quarterly report preparation and submissions
Education, Experience and Qualities
- A Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of major gift/fundraising experience in non-profit or higher education environment required, including successful track record of prospect solicitation and management, and proposal development and management
- Strong communication (verbal and written) skills in English; some French, Lebanese Dialect or Arabic preferred
- Significant understanding of Lebanon and the Middle East is preferred
- Building and maintaining effective relationships both within the full campus community and with all external contacts, exercising diplomacy and tact at all times
- Becoming familiar with all aspects of LAU history, strategic plan and programs
- Embracing the mission of LAU
- Demonstrating both empathetic disposition and perseverance, reflect optimism and positive attitude
- Demonstrating creativity and integrity in managing the best interests of LAU and that of the donor
- Maintaining a strong focus on LAU strategic priorities
- Holding the highest regard for confidentiality and high ethical standards
- Having a great degree of flexibility with the ability to manage multiple competing priorities with fluidity with the ultimate commitment and ability to meet deadlines
- Treating all staff with respect and consideration
- Adhering to all personnel policies, procedures, and rules promulgated by LAU
- Working collaboratively on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities and meet deadlines
- There will be occasional need for working after hours and regular travel will be required
- Word processing skills required
- Cultural sensitivity and professional behavior is required at all times
To apply: Please email cover letter and CV to: Marge Pfleiderer, Executive Director of Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org, with AVP NY in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
LAU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.