This position is no longer open.
Director, Communications and Media (New York)
The Director of Communications and Media is responsible for creating and implementing a strategic and successful plan for the cultivation, coordination and supervision of communications efforts for the New York Headquarters and Academic Center. The Director will pursue the development and implementation of a communications strategy that is aligned with the overall communications strategy for the University. The Director of Communications and Media in the NY Office reports to the Vice President for University Advancement.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of Communications and Media is responsible for:
- Creating and managing proactive and innovative communications strategy for North America and targeted areas in South America, to increase the presence and promote the image of LAU, integrating assessment as an essential and ongoing component; and updating annually
- Working with LAU New York personnel in the areas of Advancement, Academic Affairs, and Student Development and Enrollment Management, to develop strategies, in alignment with the LAU offices of Marketing and Communications
- Initiating, producing, coordinating, designing and assessing New York office marketing and communications activities, including the writing, photography, graphics and reports as they relate to newsletters, fundraising materials, scripts, press conferences, web development, op eds, social media and articles, in alignment with LAU communications’ materials, expertise and strategy
- Setting editorial meetings for key LAU leadership, and Marketing and Communications staff, as part of the overall strategy
- Providing status reports of all projects regularly
- Building and maintaining effective relationships both within the full campus community and with all external contacts, exercising diplomacy and tact at all times
- Creating a communications crisis management program for the NY office
- Becoming familiar with all aspects of LAU history, strategic plan and programs
- Developing access, availability and electronic archival systems of all communications materials
- Embracing the mission of LAU
- Holding the highest regard for confidentiality and high ethical standards
- Having a great degree of flexibility with the ability to manage multiple competing priorities with fluidity with the ultimate commitment and ability to meet deadlines
- Supervising staff to maximize effectiveness
- Adhering to all personnel policies, procedures, and rules promulgated by LAU
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree preferred.
The position requires a minimum of 3 years’ experience in journalism, social media, marketing, communications or publications work. Experience in a higher education institution is preferred, as is experience in the NYC area. Highly evolved oral and written communications skills are necessary, along with the ability to work collaboratively on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities and meet deadlines.
Knowledge of Arabic and an understanding of Lebanon and the Middle East are preferred.
There will be occasional need for working after hours and some travel will be required. Cultural sensitivity and professional behavior is required at all times. Preferred skills include: AP Style, Adobe Creative Suite, web and print photography, web, social media systems and print content development, HTML.
To apply: Please email cover letter and CV to: Marge Pfleiderer, Executive Director of Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org, with Communications in the subject line.
Application deadline is March 31, 2017.
LAU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.