This position is no longer open.
Library Assistant – Cataloging & Metadata (Beirut Campus)
The Riyad Nassar Library has a vacancy for a full-time Library Assistant – Cataloging & Metadata to be located in Beirut campus.
The Library Assistant - Cataloging & Metadata is mainly responsible for assisting the Head of cataloging and Metadata through performing all type of cataloging in Latin and Arabic languages.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Checks descriptive and subject data of all exported and/or entered bibliographic items against authorized utilities in both Latin and Arabic languages and makes necessary changes, additions and cross references according to standardized cataloging rules
- Performs bibliographic searches using print and online items in both Latin and Arabic
- Performs, under the close supervision of the Head of cataloging and Metadata, original cataloging for Latin and Arabic material
- Assists in clerical work such as marking and bringing material from the backlog and or organizing the material of the backlog when necessary
- Assists in projects aiming to maintain the library bibliographic database
- Orients student assistants performing basic projects and clerical jobs as marking, etc.
- Receives all incoming materials from Acquisitions and sorts them by receiving date and according to cataloging priorities and policies
- Assists the Head of Cataloging and Metadata and performs other duties and responsibilities pertinent to the job such as the Library marketing or other projects as deemed necessary
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Bachelor degree with relevant specialization in Library & Information Science
- Minimum 1-2 years’ experience (in cataloging and a library integrated system preferred)
- Basic knowledge of cataloging tools such as AACR2 and RDA
- Effective English communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to set priorities and manage time effectively
- Cooperation and teamwork ability
Interested candidates should email their CVs with a letter of interest outlining the applicant’s relevant experience to email@example.com, specifying the job title in the subject line.
CVs should include the exact month and year while listing the candidate’s professional experience and educational history.
Closing date for accepting applications is Monday, March 12, 2018.
No applications will be accepted after this date, and only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
The Lebanese American University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.