The Strategic Communications Department is currently looking for a Managing Editor reporting to the Assistant Vice President of Strategic Communications. This position requires presence on both campuses.
The Managing Editor will develop and manage the department’s print and web editorial content according to the key messaging strategies and time schedules, by managing the team of writers and editors. He/she will facilitate the integration of communications across other platforms (social media & audiovisual productions).
The Managing Editor will play a direct role in editing the LAU Magazine & Alumni Bulletin and will supervise projects including the university’s wide range publications both in print and online.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Identifies stories of interest and relevance to the LAU mission/vision and brand pillars; assigns coverage of the story to the team of writers; organizes and selects story assets (visual aids)
- Supervises the writing of articles for the LAU Magazine & Alumni Bulletin, and for the web, by directly overseeing the work of the writers (staff and freelance), and editing the work
- Develops content to address the strategic requirements in terms of messaging and audience targeting, by promoting faculty research, student experience and institutional messaging to various audiences
- Contributes directly to the coverage of stories by writing stories, articles and copy for the magazine, for publications
- Engages the LAU community with the submission of relevant stories by communicating regularly, seeking feedback and input
- Coaches writers to ensure compliance with editorial guidelines and university ethics
- Ensures the organization and archiving of all materials produced by the editorial team
- Oversees the development of the editorial style guide, regularly updates the guide, and supervises the adherence of all editorial teams to the style guide
- Conducts trainings in editorial best practices, reviews benchmarks and increases the abilities of the team
- Increases the effectiveness of editorial content, by overseeing the research before and/or after publications to assess and improve the editorial level
- Supervises the timely coverage of events on and off campus, to ensure that all stories are published on schedule and according to their time sensitivity
- Oversees annual brochures such as the Fact Book, as well as brochures about LAU’s departments and degree programs
- Develops and updates a content calendar based on themes and strategic messaging to be delivered across key channels (web, magazine, newsletter, etc.)
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Master degree in journalism, literature, communications, public relations, or a related field
- Minimum 10 years of experience including 3 years in a supervisory role and 6 years in a similar role (education role is a plus)
- Experience managing a team of writers
- Experience in editing
- Experience in writing and editing in various editorial voices
- Strong command of written and spoken English
- Strong persuasion and presentation skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- Strong ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Strong commitment to deadlines
While not strictly necessary, each of the following qualifications will be considered a plus:
- Fluency in Arabic
- Familiarity with LAU campuses, faculty, staff, students or alumni
- Familiarity with the higher education field
Interested candidates should email their CVs along with a letter of interest outlining the applicant’s relevant experience and a portfolio of their work to firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying the job title in the subject line.
Closing date for accepting applications is Wednesday, August 28, 2019.
CVs should include the exact month and year while listing the candidate’s professional experience and educational background. No applications will be accepted after this date, and only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
The Lebanese American University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.