FAQ’s on Academic Rules during the COVID-19 Crisis
P/NP Grading System
1. What does selecting P/NP grading mean?
Selecting P/NP grading means if you earn a P grade, you have satisfactorily passed the course. If your grade is NP, your performance was not satisfactory and hence it is considered that you failed the course.
2. What is the impact of P on my transcript?
A grade of P means that you have satisfied minimum performance in the course and therefore fulfill the requirements for graduation. Getting P in a course also means it can fulfill the requirement of a prerequisite.
3. Will P or NP enter in the calculation of my GPA?
No. P and NP grades do not enter in the calculation of the GPA.
4. What is the difference between NP and WP/WF in the P/NP grading option?
A WP/WF means that you withdrew from a course by the last day for withdrawal from courses.
NP indicates that you decided to opt for the alternate course grading option in spring 2021 and your performance in the course was unsatisfactory. There will be no impact on your CGPA.
5. What happens if I don’t opt to select P/NP grading option?
If you do not opt into the P/NP grading option by the specified deadline, the default/regular letter grading system will be applied.
6. How and when can I decide to opt into P/NP grading?
You can select to opt into P/NP grading by completing an online form. You will receive a form to select the course(s) that you would like to be graded as P/NP. You can choose up to two (2) courses, as long as they do not contradict program specific requirements. Courses you do not select as P/NP will receive a letter grade. The deadline for you to fill the online form is April 27, 2021, 11:59 p.m. (midnight). Once the deadline has passed, there will be no opportunity to change or reverse this decision.
7. What is the passing grade for P?
Most undergraduate courses require D as a passing grade, but some require C. Your P grade will depend on the normal passing grade of an undergraduate course.
8. If I get a P grade, will the credits be counted? Does it improve my CGPA?
Yes, the credits will be counted, but your CGPA will not be affected.
9. If I am graduating, will choosing P/NP allow me to graduate?
Yes. P grade means the course is counted as earned and fulfills the requirements of graduation. But if your major GPA or the CGPA is below 2.00, you cannot graduate.
10. Can I petition to change a P to a regular letter grade after the deadline?
No. If you opt for the P/NP grading option for a particular course in spring 2021 by April 27, 2021, there will be no opportunity to change a P grade to a regular letter grade later, even by petition.
11. Can I petition to change a regular letter grade to a P after the deadline?
No. If you do not opt for the P/NP grading option for a particular course in spring 2021 by April 27, 2021, there will be no opportunity to change a letter grade to a P grade later, even by petition.
For more help and guidance, you can always contact your school at the support email address listed below:
- School of Arts and Sciences: SOASsupport@lau.edu.lb
- Adnan Kassar School of Business: AKSOBsupport@lau.edu.lb
- School of Architecture and Design: SArDsupport@lau.edu.lb
- School of Engineering: SOEsupport@lau.edu.lb
- Gilbert & Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine: SOMsupport@lau.edu.lb
- Alice Ramez Chagoury School of Nursing: ARCSONsupport@lau.edu.lb
- School of Pharmacy: SOPsupport@lau.edu.lb