This position is no longer open.
Assistant Professor, Media Studies
School of Arts and Sciences
Department: Communication Arts
Expected start date: Fall 2018
Deadline for applying: Sept 30, 2017
The Department of Communication Arts in the School of Arts and Sciences at the Lebanese American University (LAU) invites applicants to a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor rank. The department is interested in applicants able to balance theory, research, critical inquiry and media/digital production abilities, teach various undergraduate and graduate courses, and contribute to developing curricula and programs in the Department of Communication Arts.
- Teach on both campuses professional, research and theoretical courses in media studies, from introductory to advanced levels.
- Advise and mentor students and support student production projects and activities.
- Actively engage in scholarly production focused on Arab media, film and communication.
- Engage in service to the university and the department, particularly related to developing new programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Ph.D. degree in media, film or communication studies.
- Evidence of a strong research agenda and output.
- Evidence of successful university teaching.
- Evidence of creative/professional output and practical experience in the field.
- Demonstrated interest in Lebanese and Arab media.
- Fluent in Arabic.
- Ability to produce professional media content, using the latest technologies and concepts.
- Mastery of various quantitative or qualitative research methods, ideally both.
- Experience in teaching research methods, media law and ethics, media literacy, media and gender, and other specialized research areas.
- Evidence of fund raising abilities and experience in developing and leading major projects and international programs, such as film festivals and study abroad and exchange programs.
- Knowledge of new digital and data methodologies and approaches, both in research and media production.
The Department of Communication Arts offers a broad-based liberal arts curriculum that balances theory, research, professional practice and critical inquiry, and prepares students to become innovative, professional, and ethical communicators ready to thrive in a rapidly evolving field and industry. The department offers programs in multimedia journalism, television and film, communication, and the performing arts. The department is dedicated to excellence in the production and diffusion of knowledge and the critical practice of media, film and the performing arts. It aims to develop civically engaged and informed citizens capable of reflecting on local and global issues. It strives to graduate ethical scholars, artists, and professionals in the various communication fields and specialties. Information about the department can be found at http://comm.lau.edu.lb
The Lebanese American University is an Equal Opportunity Employer operating in Lebanon under a charter from the Regents of the State University of New York. Information about the University can be found at http://www.lau.edu.lb
Prospective candidates should apply electronically by sending a letter of interest including a statement of teaching and research interests, an updated CV, and unofficial transcripts by email to: email@example.com. The CV should include the names, emails and phone numbers of three references. The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process.
Candidates must refer to position no. AS-18-4 in the subject line of the email.