Assistant/Associate Professor in Television and Film
Department: Communication, Arts and Languages
Campus: Beirut and Byblos
Expected Start Date: Fall 2022
Deadline: Until the position is filled
The Department of Communication, Arts and Languages at the Lebanese American University invites applicants to a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant or Associate Professor rank in Television and Film. The department is seeking qualified and motivated full-time faculty members able to balance theory, research, critical inquiry and film production abilities, teach various undergraduate courses, and contribute to developing curricula and programs. Priority will be given to applicants who have international film experience and exposure and/or Lebanese and regional film experience and exposure.
- Teach on both campuses professional, research and theoretical courses in film and cinematic studies, from introductory to advanced levels, such as courses in: filmmaking principles, directing, producing, editing, cinematography, scriptwriting, storytelling, documentary, sound, film critique, and other advanced cinematic arts modules.
- Advise and mentor students in the Television and Film BA.
- Actively engage in scholarly production focused on International film and media.
- Engage in service to the university and the department, particularly related to developing the Television and Film program and future graduate degrees.
- Engage in service to the department, the school and the university
- Additional duties may be set by the department in light of departmental needs and priorities.
- Ph.D., MFA or other terminal degree in film studies or related fields.
- Evidence of a strong research agenda and published output in international peer-reviewed journals and scholarly publications.
- Evidence of creative professional output and experience in filmmaking.
- Evidence of successful university teaching.
- Ability to produce professional content, using the latest technologies and concepts in filmmaking.
- Evidence of fundraising abilities and experience in developing and leading major projects and international programs, such as film festivals, study abroad and exchange programs.
- Knowledge of new digital methodologies and approaches, both in research and film production.
The Department of Communication, Arts and Languages (CAL) is a multidisciplinary entity at LAU encompassing the various branches of arts in the School of Arts and Sciences. This includes Literature, Language, Performing Arts, Visual Arts, Communication (multimedia journalism and communication programs), and Humanities. It also hosts the Academic English Sequence that serves all students. The department adopts innovative education based, mainly, on Liberal Arts, and aims to promote the culture of learning which dovetails theory and practice, and enhances the culture of critical, analytical and creative thinking. It offers nine undergraduate BA degrees in addition to several minors in relevant disciplines. It also endeavors to fulfill the mission of LAU and the School by educating young learners in Lebanon, the region and beyond, by advancing scholarship, and by contributing to preparing students to serve the common good of their communities and humanity at large. Information about the department can be found at https://soas.lau.edu.lb/academics/departments/communication-arts-languages/
The Lebanese American University is an Equal Opportunity Employer operating in Lebanon under a charter from the Regents of the State University of New York. Information about the University can be found at http://www.lau.edu.lb
Prospective candidates should apply electronically by sending a letter of interest including a statement of teaching and research interests, an updated CV, and unofficial transcripts by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The CV should include the names, emails and phone numbers of three references. The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process.
Candidates must refer to position no. AS-22-25 in the subject line of the email.