Post-Doctoral Fellow – Bioinformatics/Microbial Genomics
School of Arts and Sciences
Department: Natural Sciences
Deadline for Applying: December 15, 2023
The Department of Natural Sciences in the School of Arts and Sciences at the Lebanese American University invites applications for a postdoctoral fellowship position in bioinformatics within a microbial genomics team. We are seeking a highly qualified and motivated bioinformatician with extensive expertise in BASH, Python, R/Bioconductor, and a keen interest in developing and leading independent projects. Successful candidates should have a proven track record of publications and successful grant applications. A Ph.D. in bioinformatics, microbial genomics, or a related discipline is required. Experience in NGS data analysis is essential, including quality control, genome assembly and mapping, variant calling, phylogenetic tree reconstruction, structural and functional annotation, pathway analysis, and shotgun metagenomics.
- A Ph.D. from a recognized institution
- At least 3 years experience in command line tools related to Microbial Genomics/Pathogenomics
- Evidence of research productivity
- Evidence of successful international grant applications
- Evidence of attendance/presentations at international Microbial Genomics conferences
- Experience in comparative genomics, comparative transcriptomics, and metagenomics
- Ability to work comfortably and collaboratively with a diverse group of researchers
- Vision for research growth and collaboration in bacterial genomics
- Lead one or several research projects
- Identify regional/international granting sources and apply for grants
- Write and submit manuscripts
- Supervise graduate students and undergraduate volunteers
- Manage lab resources and equipment
- Additional duties may be set in light of research needs and priorities.
The Department of Natural Sciences (http://sas.lau.edu.lb/natural-sciences/) is one of the seven departments of the School of Arts and Sciences (http://sas.lau.edu.lb/) at LAU. It offers a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology, a B.S. in Chemistry, a B.S. in Nutrition, and a Master of Science (M.S.) in Molecular Biology.
LAU has two campuses, one in Beirut and the other in Byblos, about 35 kilometers north of Beirut. LAU is an Equal Opportunity Employer operating in Lebanon under a charter from the Regents of the State University of New York, and is accredited by the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (CIHE–NEASC). There are currently over 8,000 enrolled students at LAU.
Prospective candidates should apply electronically by sending a letter of intent and an updated CV. The CV should include the names, emails and phone numbers of two references. The application should be sent by email to email@example.com referring to positions BIOINFO23