Student Health Insurance
Health Insurance Premiums for Students for Fall 2023
Students enrolled in any university in Lebanon, are required by law to be covered by health insurance. Accordingly, upon registration the health coverage premiums are added to ALL students’ University accounts as follows:
- Medical insurance: $316 insures you for $75,000 worth of 2ndclass hospitalization (IN-Hospital plan) limited to LAUMC-RH (LAUMC, Rizk Hospital) in Achrafieh and LAUMC-SJH (LAUMC, Saint John Hospital) in Jounieh. In addition; emergency services due to accidents is covered as per Best Assistance Network of hospitals, to be announced.
- School liability: $11 insures you in case of accidents on campus or outside campus on university sponsored activities. This charge is mandatory for all students and cannot be waived.
- National Social Security Fund (NSSF): $32 if you are Lebanese or French with no proof of social security coverage for you. Students of other nationalities are exempted from this charge as they do not benefit from the NSSF. (N.B. If you are a holder of a dual nationality, the NSSF fee will be charged/waived according to the nationality that you have presented or petitioned for at the Admissions office) Also, freshman students and students of age 30 and above are exempted from the NSSF fee.
If you are enrolled for Fall 2023, the above three charges will be added to your statement of fees. If you are already covered through other types of health coverage (listed below) you must complete an online waiver indicating proof of your personal medical Insurance/NSSF/Other coverages. The online waiver form will be available once the statement of fees for Fall 23 are issued on September 14, 2023 & the link will be sent to your LAU’s email. Once the waiver is verified and approved, the premium will be removed from your statement of fees. Thus, Eligible students must complete the online waiver process with their own creditable medical coverage before the deadline and prior to printing the statement of fees.
Insurance & NSSF guidelines for waiving charges:
- If you already have a medical insurance, present a photocopy of a valid insurance card as proof to waive insurance charges (expiry date preferably not before the end of the academic year, i.e. August 2023). If your medical insurance expires before the end of the academic year, you are required to supply the Human Resources Office with a copy of the renewed card as soon as you have it.
- If you are already registered in the NSSF (الصندوق الوطني للضمان الاجتماعي) through your parent’s profession, a statement from NSSF, not exceeding one month date of issuance, showing your enrollment under your father/mother ( جامعات: نوع الافادة) should be provided or (افادة خدمة من الضمان) in case you are employed. If the parent is retired, the statement should show that they are still eligible for medical coverage.
Types of proof of health coverage:
- A photocopy of a valid insurance card.
- National Social Security Fund NSSF (original statement) not older than one month
- Public Employees COOP (original statement)
- Judges Consolidation Fund (photocopy of card)
- Lebanese University Faculty Consolidation Fund (photocopy of card)
- Municipalities (original statement)
- Lebanese Army, Internal Security, General Security, and State Security (photocopy of card)
- Customs (original statement)
- Syndicate of Lawyers (photocopy of card)
N.B: Please check with your parents if you are not sure about your Health Insurance status (Medical Insurance, NSSF, etc…)