Centers & Institutes / Institute for Peace and Justice Education/
To accomplish its mission, the Institute has developed a three-level program consisting of:
- special courses on peace, social justice, and citizenship, and general curriculum courses infused with peace and justice issues;
- service learning and community out-reach;
- research and dissemination of research through conferences and publications.
Within this program, the Institute offers
- a unique set of courses on human rights, peace and conflict, social justice, and intercultural communication, which will educate future parents and leaders able and willing to use critical, analytical skills to effect and rewrite social policy and to engage in creative, non-violent conflict management;
- seminars for students and faculty on social and global issues;
- workshops for students and faculty on community building, conflict resolution, and peacebuilding;
- pre-service and in-service teacher education courses and workshops on peace and justice education that will enable teachers to incorporate issues of peace and social justice into their existing curricula;
- community-based training on conflict management, human rights education, sustainable development, and other relevant issues;
- lectures, seminars and conferences in the University and the community to provide on-going education in peace and justice related issues and to disseminate peace research;
- materials and resources for teachers and non-governmental organizations on peace and justice education, human rights, tolerance, etc.
Faculty of the Institute are recognized experts on peace and justice education, involved in regional and international projects. The Institute provides consultation services for local and regional educators seeking to establish or improve peace and justice education in their respective institutions and facilitates access to peace and justice education curricula and other resources.
Courses are offered on:
- Human Rights
- Cross-Cultural Communication
- Social Justice
- Fundamentals of Peace Education
A minor in Peace and Justice will be available in the near future and Service Learning components will be instituted in several courses.
Several of the upcoming events and activities of the Institute will reflect the 2001-2010 UNESCO Decade for a Culture of Peace and Nonviolence for the Children of the World.