Dean, School of Arts & Sciences
The Lebanese American University invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean of the School of Arts & Sciences. The Lebanese American University is a leading higher education institution in the Middle East operating on multiple campuses, mainly Beirut and Byblos, and enrolling more than 8000 students. The University is in the process of developing its third dynamic five-year strategic plan aimed at ensuring its continued pursuit of academic excellence.
The Dean of Arts & Sciences is the senior academic officer of the School, and is be responsible for all matters relating to academic leadership and administration including overseeing of academic programs, faculty, staff and students on both the Beirut and Byblos Campuses. The Dean will set standards of intellectual engagement and accomplishment for the School and will provide strategic vision and operational leadership for all aspects of the academic and scholarly program, creating an environment that supports the School faculty and students.
The candidate must be able to build on LAU’s strong record in the humanities, social sciences, performing and communication arts, while at the same time continue strengthening the high caliber natural and physical sciences, as well as math and computer sciences, bioinformatics, actuarial sciences, and education programs. The Dean should have a commitment to academic freedom and the centrality of the liberal arts within the broader context of university education, and a demonstrated ability to articulate a compelling, strategic vision and long-term goals for the School of Arts & Sciences. The candidate should also have an inclusive leadership style.
The Dean reports to the Provost and serves and as a voting member on the Council of Deans, and an Ex-Officio on several other University Councils.
Candidates are expected to have:
- an earned Ph.D. degree from a reputable university, preferably in one of the disciplines of the School and hold a senior academic rank as professor
- a distinguished research and academic record
- a proven record of administrative and academic leadership in higher education
- a demonstrated commitment to the Liberal Arts and Sciences
- familiarity with and participation in best practices in the Liberal Arts
- demonstrated commitment to work with other schools; record of teammanship
- a track record of successful fundraising and grant development
- a proven record of managerial and budgetary experience
- a proven record of academic program development
- a proven record in recruiting and retaining a diverse population of faculty, students and staff
- an administrative style that demonstrates commitment to shared governance
- a strategic, innovative and forward thinking leadership style
- an innovative approach to teaching and learning assessment and familiarity with information technology innovations for higher education
- a record reflecting high personal integrity and ethical standards
- a clear vision and sense of direction for the school
- and an international academic exposure
- experience in strategic planning and accreditation
Applications should include:
- a letter outlining the applicant’s background, qualifications and vision for this position
- a curriculum vitae
- a personal statement outlining reasons for the candidate’s interest in the position
- names of five referees with contact details
Deadline for application is January 30, 2018.
Please send documents in electronic form to the Search Committee for Dean of Arts and Sciences at email@example.com.