This position is no longer open.
Assistant Vice President for Development
An exceptional opportunity exists to join the Lebanese American University (LAU) as a senior member of the University Advancement team. The Assistant Vice President (AVP) for Development is responsible for the management of relationships and securing gifts with a portfolio of top prospects and donors who have the capability of making highly significant contributions to LAU and to the LAU Health Foundation (LAU HF).
This opportunity calls for a professional with ten or more years of progressively responsible experience in front-line fundraising and strong working knowledge of industry best practices relevant to the successful cultivation, solicitation, and closing of high-level prospects and benefactors for principal gifts. The AVP for Development is based at the LAU NY Headquarters and Academic Center and will report to the Vice President for University Advancement (VPUA).
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate a clear advanced capacity for strategic thinking, multi-tasking, relationship management, and effective execution. Initiative, resourcefulness, and entrepreneurial drive are expected across the spectrum of tasks performed.
Duties and Responsibilities
Manage Prospect Portfolio for LAU and for LAU HF:
- Ensure the methodical implementation of LAU’s mission and goals through successful solicitations and effective management of a prospect portfolio of approximately 200 prospective donors, with an emphasis on six- and seven-figure commitments
- Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward high capacity alumni, friends, and corporate and foundation prospects for the university for both outright and planned gifts
- Report to the VPUA, and work closely and collaboratively with the President, university advancement colleagues, university administrators and others to build and implement effective strategies that will lead to beneficial long-term relationships and significant gift support from prospective donors
- Lead all aspects of the gift cycle: initiate contacts with prospective major gifts donors, develop appropriate cultivation strategies, move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure
- Maintain stewardship contacts with donors, and adhere to the highest ethical standards
- Provide status reports on all projects regularly
- Manage staff, including but not limited to: Director of Major Gifts, Associate Director of Development for Annual Fund and Proposal Writing, and Assistant Director of Development for Prospect Research.
- Develop and implement a fundraising program for the LAU HF, working collaboratively with the LAU HF Board Chair and Board members to achieve established goals
- Manage private sector giving and grant opportunities, and public sector ones selectively, developing proposals as required
- Manage current LAU HF government grant collaboratively with Medical School and Hospital pertinent staff, including quarterly report preparation and submissions
- There will be occasional need for working after hours. Some weekends and regular travel will be required
Education, Experience and Qualities
- A Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of major gift/fundraising experience in non-profit or higher education environment required, including successful track record of prospect solicitation and management, and proposal development and management
- Strong communication (verbal and written) skills in English; Lebanese Dialect or Arabic preferred
- Significant understanding of Lebanon and the Middle East is preferred
- Building and maintaining effective relationships both within the full campus community and with all external contacts, exercising diplomacy and tact at all times
- Becoming familiar with all aspects of LAU history, strategic plan and programs
- Embracing the mission of LAU
- Demonstrating both empathetic disposition and perseverance, reflect optimism and positive attitude
- Demonstrating creativity and integrity in managing the best interests of LAU and that of the donor
- Maintaining a strong focus on LAU strategic priorities
- Holding the highest regard for confidentiality and high ethical standards
- Having a great degree of flexibility with the ability to manage multiple competing priorities with the ultimate commitment and ability to meet deadlines
- Treating all staff with respect and consideration
- Adhering to all personnel policies, procedures, and rules promulgated by LAU
- Working collaboratively on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities and meet deadlines
- Competency in Word, Excel, and Raiser’s Edge required
- Cultural sensitivity and professional behavior is required at all times
To apply: Please email cover letter, CV, and salary requirements to: Marge Pfleiderer, Executive Director of Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org, with AVP NY in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
LAU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.