Director of Major Gifts
An exceptional opportunity exists to join the Lebanese American University as a senior member of the University Advancement team. The Director of Major Gifts for LAU New York will play an integral role in the Advancement Division and is responsible for the planning, coordination and implementation of a major gift program involving current and prospective individuals, foundations and corporate contributors. The Director of Major Gifts represents a key component in the University’s fundraising strategy for North America. The Director of Major Gifts will be based at the LAU NY Headquarters and Academic Center and will report to the Assistant Vice President for Development (AVP).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and execute strategic and successful development plans for cultivation, solicitation, closing and stewardship of major gift philanthropic support, including pursuit of support from individuals, corporations and foundations
- Build and maintain a portfolio of major gift prospects and actively and sustainably engage those prospects in the life of the institution
- Meet or exceed fundraising targets
- Engage in outreach activities including personal visits, e-mail communication, and telephone conversations with the purpose of developing and deepening long-term relationships between donors and the University
- Research, write, prepare, submit and manage letters of inquiry, gift agreements and full proposals, as well as prepare, analyze and manage financial status and progress reports
- Work closely with the Annual Fund and Alumni programs
- Prepare and effectively pursue an annual major gift program as approved by the university
- There will be occasional need for working after hours. Some weekends and regular travel will be required
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree and CFRE preferred
- Three or more years of relevant major gift experience, preferably in higher education fundraising
- Exceptional communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills in English; some Lebanese Dialect or Arabic preferred
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to maintain high standards of integrity, credibility and reliability in interactions with high-level prospects and donors as well as with entire LAU campus community
- Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or other donor management software preferred
- Travel throughout the U.S., Canada, and other countries as required, and occasional travel to Lebanon is possible
- Commitment to LAU and its mission, program, and future aspirations are required
- Demonstrated attention to detail, creativity, and entrepreneurial spirit
- Familiarity with Lebanon and the Middle East is preferred
To apply: Please email cover letter, CV and salary requirements to: Marge Pfleiderer, Executive Director of Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org, with Major Gifts in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
LAU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.