Dean, Alice Ramez Chagoury School of Nursing
The Lebanese American University (LAU) invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean of the Alice Ramez Chagoury School of Nursing. The Lebanese American University is a leading higher education institution in the Middle East operating on two campuses, Beirut and Byblos, and currently enrolling more than 8,000 students.
The Dean of the CCNE-accredited Alice Ramez Chagoury School of Nursing is the chief academic and administrative officer of the school and is responsible for all matters relating to academic leadership, external relations and administration including academic programs, faculty, staff and students. As the chief executive officer of the Alice Ramez Chagoury School of Nursing, the dean will set standards of intellectual engagement and accomplishment for the school. The dean will provide strategic vision and operational leadership and is expected to be a strategic thinker and an efficient implementer involved in the competitive positioning of the school within Lebanon and the region.
The successful candidate should have proven leadership capabilities, strong administrative experience, as well as the ability to support teaching and research innovation, recruit and develop a diverse faculty and foster interdisciplinary collaboration with other academic programs within the university and community.
The dean will have to effectively assume the following responsibilities:
- Provide the vision and leadership needed for directing the school into future strategic directions while tackling challenges for nursing education and the profession;
- Initiate the educational, research and development programs according to a vision in line with the university mission;
- Efficiently manage academic programs, accreditation, credentials, and budget;
- Collaborate with the deans of medicine and pharmacy for establishing a symbiotic relationship in health professions education;
- Work closely with other deans on joint teaching and research programs;
- Recruit qualified faculty and staff;
- Provide leadership and supervision to faculty by creating expectations for teaching, scholarship, service and practice;
- Provide leadership and supervision to staff;
- Assume obligation for recruitment, supervision, mentoring and teaching of students;
- Provide academic and educational leadership through personal example of his/her accomplishments;
- Establish and maintain high academic standards, including innovation in teaching;
- Pursue external funding and strategic partnership to strengthen and develop school opportunities including expanded simulation and interprofessional education venues;
- Safeguard the implementation of university academic policies in the school;
- Conduct fundraising for the school;
- Report to the Provost and serve as a voting member on the Council of Deans and as an Ex-Officio member on school and University Councils.
The expected qualifications and personal characteristics are:
- Terminal degree from a reputable university in nursing, allied health, or other related fields;
- Record of scholarly and academic achievement appropriate for the rank of professor;
- Experience in academic administration;
- Record of effective practice of leadership skills;
- Evidence of effective administration of health related programs;
- Awareness of and engagement with current and emerging technology in nursing and health science education and practice;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to operate in a shared governance environment;
- Experience in establishing collaborative relationships at the level of a university and with external entities;
- Personal and professional integrity, ethics, and values consistent with the university’s values and mission.
Applications should include:
- A letter outlining the applicant’s background, qualifications and vision for this position
- A curriculum vitae
- Names of three referees with contact details
To apply, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.