Chief Sustainability Officer
This position is no longer open.The Lebanese American University is currently looking for a Chief Sustainability Officer reporting to the President of LAU.
The Chief Sustainability Officer is responsible for leading and implementing the University’s sustainability strategy, promoting a culture of sustainability across all departments, and ensuring the University’s long-term environmental and social impact.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Leads and coordinates efforts between University entities to establish, develop and implement a sustainability strategy with related policies, aligned with the University’s goals and objectives
- Works closely with relevant University entities to spearhead sustainability initiatives and help achieve the University’s sustainability goals
- Collaborates closely with the Council of Deans on all academic matters related to sustainability
- Collaborates with departments and committees across the University and its Medical Centers to advance sustainability initiatives and engage students, faculty, and staff in sustainability efforts
- Works in close collaboration with the Department of Institutional Research and Assessment (DIRA) on the identification of data needs
- Works in close collaboration with the Strategic Communications Department and DIRA to develop digital media and other effective communication channels to enhance the reputation of the University in both academic and non-academic circles
- Monitors and reports on sustainability performance, including Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) metrics, goals, and targets
- Stays current on sustainability best practices, trends, and regulations in the education sector and provides recommendations for the University’s continued success
- Represents the University in sustainability-related forums and events and builds relationships with external stakeholders to advance sustainability initiatives
- Provides guidance and training to students, faculty, and staff on sustainability best practices and promotes a culture of sustainability throughout the University
- Identifies, solicits, and cultivates community partnerships and collaborations to assist in the development and growth of the sustainability program
- Assists in identifying and evaluating potential future funding sources, and contributes to the submission of grants and contracts supporting the program
Minimum Required Qualifications
- A Master’s degree in Sustainability, Environmental Science, or related field. A Ph.D. is an added advantage.
- Advanced certifications in sustainability preferred.
- 10 years of proven experience and track record in sustainability or related field, with at least 7 years in a leadership role.
- Strong knowledge of sustainability principles, practices, and regulations.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Highly developed communication skills in English, both written and verbal.
- Strong project management skills and experience leading cross-functional teams.
- Ability to think strategically and drive sustainable business practices across the university
Interested candidates should email their CVs with a letter of interest outlining the applicant’s relevant experience to email@example.com, specifying the job title in the subject line.
CVs should include the exact month and year while listing the candidate’s professional experience and educational history.
Closing date for accepting applications is Monday, May 29, 2023.
No applications will be accepted after this date, and only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
The Lebanese American University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.