Assistant/Associate Professor, Multimedia Journalism
This position is no longer open.
School of Arts and Sciences
Department: Communication Arts
Expected start date: Fall 2018
Deadline for applying: Sept 30, 2017
The Department of Communication Arts in the School of Arts and Sciences at the Lebanese American University (LAU) invites applicants to a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant or Associate Professor rank. The department is interested in applicants able to balance theory, research, critical inquiry and journalistic production abilities—with strong emphasis on new forms of multimedia, data journalism and digital innovation, teach various undergraduate and graduate courses, and contribute to developing curricula and programs in the Department of Communication Arts.
- Teach on both campuses courses in multimedia journalism and digital innovation.
- Advise and mentor students and support student production projects and activities.
- Actively engage in scholarly production focused on Arab news and media.
- Engage in service to the university and the department, particularly related to developing new programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Ph.D. degree in journalism or media studies.
- Evidence of professional journalistic output and practical experience, particularly in new forms of multimedia, and data journalism and digital innovation.
- Evidence of successful university teaching.
- Evidence of a strong research agenda.
- Demonstrated interest in Lebanese and Arab media.
- Fluent in Arabic.
- Ability to produce professional journalistic content, using the latest news forms and technologies.
- Mastery of various quantitative or qualitative research methods, or both.
- Ability to teach data journalism, digital innovation, multimedia journalism, data visualization, media analytics, new media business models, media law and ethics, media literacy and other specialized research areas.
- Evidence of fund raising abilities and experience in developing and leading major projects and international programs, such as festivals and study abroad and exchange programs.
- Knowledge of new digital and data methodologies and approaches both in research and news production.
The Department of Communication Arts offers a broad-based liberal arts curriculum that balances theory, research, professional practice and critical inquiry, and prepares students to become innovative, professional, and ethical communicators ready to thrive in a rapidly evolving field and industry. The department offers programs in multimedia journalism, television and film, communication, and the performing arts. The department is dedicated to excellence in the production and diffusion of knowledge and the critical practice of media, film and the performing arts. It aims to develop civically engaged and informed citizens capable of reflecting on local and global issues. It strives to graduate ethical scholars, artists, and professionals in the various communication fields and specialties. Information about the department can be found at http://comm.lau.edu.lb
The Lebanese American University is an Equal Opportunity Employer operating in Lebanon under a charter from the Regents of the State University of New York. Information about the University can be found at http://www.lau.edu.lb
Prospective candidates should apply electronically by sending a letter of interest including a statement of teaching and research interests, an updated CV, and unofficial transcripts by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The CV should include the names, emails and phone numbers of three references. The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process.
Candidates must refer to position no. AS-18-20 in the subject line of the email.