Open ranks faculty positions in Liberal Education, Computing and Digital Cultures
Department: Liberal Education
Deadline for applications: November 1, 2024
Start Date: Spring 2024
The Liberal Arts and Sciences curriculum at LAU is a leading program connecting academic courses to UN Sustainable Development Goals. The Curriculum is innovative in its pedagogic approach and its intellectual foci. It consists of several pillars that engage students in:
A) learning about topical issues and becoming Change Makers;
B) acquiring technical knowledge that will allow them to compete in an increasingly complex professional environment of Digital Cultures, and
C) engaging in High Impact Experiences to become global citizens and stewards of the world they inhabit.
For more on our signature program, visit the following link: https://soas.lau.edu.lb/academics/programs/lasc.php
The Department of Liberal Education in the School of Arts and Sciences at the Lebanese American University invites applicants for a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant/Associate Professor or Assistant/Associate Professor of Practice in Liberal Education with a focus on Digital Cultures. The Department is seeking a highly qualified and motivated full-time faculty member who is committed to innovative teaching, research, and academic advising as well as institutional and community service.
- Teach and coordinate undergraduate courses in liberal education, with a focus on Digital Cultures including artificial intelligence and its implications, ethics, technology, global society, social cybersecurity, and mind and machines.
- Advise and mentor students
- Engage in service to the programs, department, the university, and the profession
- Contribute to the development of the liberal education curriculum, assessment and seek external grants as well as accreditation
- Contribute to the department’s goals of research and publication
- Additional duties may be set by the department in light of departmental needs and priorities.
Applicants must possess the following essential qualifications (relevant to one or more of the modules listed above):
- A Doctoral degree related to Computer Science or Engineering, Digital Humanities, or related field.
- Experience in teaching undergraduate students from a variety of disciplines.
- Evidence of using innovative teaching methods with non-specialized audience.
- Good written and verbal English communication.
- Good organizational skills and ability to work in a team-based environment.
- A good research portfolio.
Additional Desirable Qualifications (if possible)
- Theoretical knowledge and technical skillset in Artificial Intelligence including data engineering, machine learning and data pipeline.
- Knowledge of deep learning and working with unstructured data (e.g., text, audio, image and video) is advantageous.
- Familiarity with Python.
- Familiarity with using a visual AI tool such as RapidMiner Studio or Tableau.
- Please submit a current CV and a letter of interest that outlines your interest in the position, and your ambition to contribute to this curriculum. The CV should include the names, emails, and phone numbers of two references. The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process.
- Submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview and may be requested to deliver a short presentation to the panel.
Candidates must refer to position no. AS-24-14, in the subject line of the email.