Assistant/Associate Professor, Liberal Education, Food-Energy-Water Nexus
This position is no longer open.
Department: Liberal Education
Deadline for applications: December 12, 2022 at 15:00 (Beirut Time)
Start Date: January 2023 (Spring Semester) or September 2023 (Fall Semester)
LAU has launched a leading Liberal Arts and Sciences curriculum connecting academic courses to the UN Sustainable Development Goals. The Curriculum is innovative in its pedagogic approach and its intellectual foci. It consists of several pillars that engage students in:
- learning about topical issues and becoming Change Makers;
- acquiring technical knowledge that will allow them to compete in an increasingly complex professional environment of Digital Cultures, and
- engaging in High Impact Experiences to become global citizens and stewards of the world they inhabit.
For more information on our signature Liberal Arts and Sciences Curriculum, visit the following link: https://soas.lau.edu.lb/academics/programs/lasc.php
The Department of Liberal Education in the School of Arts and Sciences at the Lebanese American University invites applicants for a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant/Associate Professor in Liberal Education with a focus on the Water-Energy-Food (WEF) Nexus. The Department is seeking a highly qualified and motivated full-time faculty member who is committed to innovative teaching, research, and academic advising as well as institutional and community service.
For this position, we are focusing on the Change Makers series. Specifically, this position involves delivering teaching and undertaking research activities related to the Water-Energy-Food (WEF) Nexus. We are looking for scholars who have researched and taught in areas related to: Food safety and security; Energy safety and security; Water safety and security. The Changemakers series consists of three WEF-related courses that have been designed around the 4 pillars of Sustainable Development: social, economic, environmental an governance, allowing students to:
- Assess the environmental impact of food, water and/or energy production and their relationship with climate change
- Describe current major challenges to the sustainable production and distribution of food, energy and/or water
- Recognize the interdependencies and interlinkages between these three nexus resources
- Suggest creative system innovations to manage the nexus to help in attaining the United Nations sustainable development goals (SDGs).
- Teach and coordinate undergraduate courses in liberal education, that focus on one or more aspects of the Water-Energy-Food (WEF) Nexus.
- Undertake Research and publish scholarly articles in any field related to Food Safety and Security, Water Safety and Security, Energy Safety and Security;
- Advise and mentor students;
- Engage in service to the programs, department, the university, and the profession;
- Contribute to the development of the liberal education curriculum and its assessment;
- Participate in applying to external grants, and support accreditation efforts;
- Contribute to the department’s goals of research and publication;
- Undertake any additional duties that are set by the chairperson.
- A Doctoral degree in the field of public health/policy, sustainability and/or infrastructure governance, international development studies, or a related field
- An active research profile that demonstrates a sustained commitment to scholarship, and high impact publications;
- A deep understanding of the sustainable development goals (SDGs) set by the UN.
- A minimum of two years of experience teaching undergraduate students from a variety of disciplines
- Strong affinity and/or experience with transdisciplinary research and outreach
- Evidence of using innovative teaching methods with non-specialized audiences
- Good written and verbal English communication.
- Good organizational skills and ability to work in a team-based environment.
- A research agenda focused on the social, economic, environmental, governance/policy pillars of the SDGs;
- Experience of using Blackboard;
- Experience delivering Education for Sustainable Development (ESD);
The Lebanese American University is an Equal Opportunity Employer operating in Lebanon under a charter from the Regents of the State University of New York. Information about the University can be found at http://www.lau.edu.lb.
- Please submit a current CV and a Cover Letter that outline your interest in the position, and your ambition to contribute to this curriculum. The CV should include the names, e-mails and phone numbers of three referees. The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time during the application / shortlisting / interview process.
- Submit your application to email@example.com by the deadline.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview and may be requested to deliver a short presentation to the panel.
Candidates must refer to position no. AS-24-8, in the subject line of the email