Assistant/Associate Professor, Liberal Education, Digital Cultures
Department: Liberal Education
Deadline for applications: December 12, 2022 at 15:00 (Beirut Time)
Start Date: January 2023 (Spring Semester) or September 2023 (Fall Semester)
LAU has launched a leading Liberal Arts and Sciences Curriculum connecting academic courses to the UN Sustainable Development Goals. The Curriculum is innovative in its pedagogic approach and its intellectual foci. It consists of several pillars that engage students in:
- learning about topical issues and becoming Change Makers;
- acquiring technical knowledge that will allow them to compete in an increasingly complex professional environment of Digital Cultures, and
- engaging in High Impact Experiences to become global citizens and stewards of the world they inhabit.
For more information on our signature Liberal Arts and Sciences Curriculum, visit the following link: https://soas.lau.edu.lb/academics/programs/lasc.php
The Department of Liberal Education in the School of Arts and Sciences at the Lebanese American University invites applicants for a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant/Associate Professor in Liberal Education with a focus on Digital Cultures. The Department is seeking a highly qualified and motivated full-time faculty member who is committed to innovative teaching, research, and academic advising as well as institutional and community service.
- Teach and coordinate undergraduate courses in liberal education, with a focus on Digital Cultures: this includes modules on ethics, the impact of technology on the global society, social cybersecurity, Artificial Intelligence and its social implications, etc.
- Undertake Research and publish scholarly articles in any field related to Digital Cultures
- Advise and mentor undergraduate students
- Engage in service to the programs, department, the university, and the profession
- Contribute to the development of the liberal education curriculum and its assessment ;
- Participate in applying to external grants, and support accreditation efforts
- Undertake any additional duties that are set by the chairperson
Applicants must possess the following essential qualifications (relevant to one or more of the modules listed above):
- A Doctoral degree related to Social Sciences, Digital Cultures, Digital Humanities and the Impact of Technology;
- An active research profile that demonstrates a sustained commitment to scholarship, and high impact publications;
- Experience in teaching undergraduate students from a variety of disciplines;
- Evidence of using innovative teaching methods with non-specialized audiences;
- Good written and verbal English communication;
- Good organizational skills, and an ability to work in a team-based environment.
- Theoretical knowledge and technical skillset in Artificial Intelligence including data engineering, machine learning and data pipeline;
- Knowledge of deep learning and working with unstructured data (e.g., text, audio, image and video) is advantageous;
- Familiarity with Python; R is a plus;
- Familiarity with using a visual AI tool such as RapidMiner Studio or Tableau.
- Please submit a current CV and a Cover Letter that outline your interest in the position, and your ambition to contribute to this curriculum. The CV should include the names, e-mails and phone numbers of three referees. The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time during the application / shortlisting / interview process.
- Submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview and may be requested to deliver a short presentation to the panel.
Candidates must refer to the position no. AS-24-7, in the subject line of the email.