Part-Time Faculty Position, Sustainable Food Systems
Department: Liberal Education
Deadline for applications: June 15, 2023 at 15:00 (Beirut Time)
Start Date: Fall 2023
The School of Arts and Sciences at the Lebanese American University is launching the new Liberal Arts and Science Curriculum. The Curriculum is innovative in its pedagogic approach and its intellectual foci. It consists of several pillars that engage students in
A) learning about topical issues and becoming Change Makers;
B) acquiring technical knowledge that will allow them to compete in an increasingly complex professional environment of Digital Cultures, and
C) engaging in High Impact Experiences to become global citizens and stewards of the world they inhabit.
For this round of recruitment, we are focusing on pillar A) Change Makers. We invite qualified candidates to apply for a Part-Time teaching position in the Department of Liberal Education to deliver a course on Sustainable Food Systems to be offered to undergraduate students from the various schools. The course has been designed to allow students to
- Identify the dietary components that are essential for health and wellbeing and play an important role in treating/preventing disease
- Define and contrast the concepts of malnutrition, hunger and food insecurity
- Reflect on the possible causes (biological, social, psychological) of unhealthy eating
- Connect the concepts of food systems, healthy diets and sustainability
- Describe current major challenges to the sustainable production and distribution of food
- Suggest creative food system innovations for healthier equitable and sustainable diets
Applicants must possess the following essential qualifications:
- A Master’s or Doctoral degree in Nutrition, Public Health or a related field
- Good theoretical knowledge of Sustainable Food Systems.
- Knowledge and/or experience of the social and economic impact of malnutrition, food insecurity and the environmental impacts of food at the local and global levels.
- A minimum of two years of experience teaching undergraduate students from a variety of disciplines
- Evidence of using innovative teaching methods with non-specialized audiences
- A deep understanding of the sustainable development goals (SDGs) set by the UN.
- Good written and verbal English communication.
- Good organizational skills and ability to work in a team-based environment.
- Experience using Blackboard
- Experience delivering Education for Sustainable Development (ESD)
- Prospective candidates should apply electronically by sending their updated CV (including two references) and a letter of interest in the position and potential creative contribution to this course. Candidates should also complete an application form available at http://www.lau.edu.lb/employment/docs/standard-application-due-diligence-PT.pdf
- Submit your application via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications will be acknowledged by the department of Liberal Education.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview and may be requested to deliver a short presentation to a panel.
Candidates must refer to the position as “PT Sustainable Food Systems”, in the subject line of the email.