Part-Time Faculty Position, Water Security
Department: Liberal Education
Deadline for applications: November 19, 2021 at 15:00 (Beirut Time)
Start Date: In agreement with the successful candidate, and as soon as is possible.
The School of Arts and Sciences at the Lebanese American University is launching the new Liberal Arts and Science Curriculum. The Curriculum is innovative in its pedagogic approach and its intellectual foci. It consists of several pillars that engage students in
A) learning about topical issues and becoming Change Makers;
B) acquiring technical knowledge that will allow them to compete in an increasingly complex professional environment of Digital Cultures, and
C) engaging in High Impact Experiences to become global citizens and stewards of the world they inhabit.
For this round of recruitment, we are focusing on pillar A) Change Makers. We invite qualified candidates to apply for a Part-Time teaching position in the Department of Liberal Education to deliver a course on Water Security courses to be offered to undergraduate students from the various schools. The course has been designed to allow students to
- understand the role played by water in the biosphere;
- comprehend the ways in which human modifications of the earth system have impacted the availability of water and our access to it;
- examine the challenges inherent in producing food in regions with limited water availability;
- reflect on, and research the importance of good governance for navigating the novel freshwater dynamics of the Anthropocene; and
- learn to articulate issues relating to water security using specialized technical language.
Applicants must possess the following essential qualifications:
- A Master’s or Doctoral degree in Environmental Sciences or Social Sciences with emphasis on Water Security.
- Experience of teaching undergraduate students from a variety of disciplines
- Evidence of using innovative teaching methods with non-specialized audiences
- Good theoretical knowledge of water security.
- A deep understanding of the sustainable development goals (SDGs) set by the UN.
- Knowledge and/or experience of the social and economic impact of water security at the local and global levels.
- Familiarity with local, regional and global policies related to water security.
- Good written and verbal English communication.
- Good organizational skills and ability to work in a team-based environment.
- Experience of using Blackboard
- Experience of delivering Education for Sustainable Development (ESD)
- Please submit a current CV and a Cover Letter that outlines your interest in the position, and your ambition to contribute to this course.
- Submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline
- Address your email to the attention of Dr Rony Khnayzer, Chairperson of the department of Liberal Education
- All applications will be acknowledged by the Dean’s Office.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview and may be requested to deliver a short presentation to the panel.
Candidates must refer to the position as “PT Water Security”, in the subject line of the email.