This position is no longer open.The Strategic Communications Department is looking for a Writer, reporting to the Managing Editor, to join a dynamic team of multidisciplinary professionals with a common desire to contribute to the successful implementation of the university’s integrated marketing and communications initiative. This position is based on Beirut campus with occasional commuting to Byblos campus.
The Writer will be a key player in the development of content that showcases LAU’s strengths and achievements and enhances positive reputation-building. He/She will be actively involved in the editorial development of LAU print and electronic communications from concept to completion and will strive to ensure that all communications conform to rigorous editorial standards.
He/She will support the dissemination of the stories, articles and press releases with particular attention to style, tone and audience, and will also be responsible for writing and updating content for the website.
Furthermore, the Writer must be able to think strategically and contribute fresh approaches, while keeping track of audience engagement and website performance.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops articles for website, magazine, periodicals, publications and/or press releases
- Conducts the background activities to develop the stories: research, attending events, interviews
- Conducts fact-checking and research to ensure the validity and accuracy of the information
- Develops integrated approaches for storytelling – including written articles, social media, audio-visual content ideas, by adapting the articles to press release formats or to social media posts
- Develops ideas for articles that showcase LAU’s strengths and successes, identifies new initiatives, and researches upcoming events that deserve coverage
- Assists in the development of content for public relations strategies – op-eds, speeches and articles – as needed
- Prepares and edits content for social media dissemination
- Writes and updates content on website
- Edits and proofreads own work and others’ work, while adhering to the University’s and the Strategic Communications Department’s editorial and procedural standards
- Contributes to emergency/crisis communications by developing content as per requirements
- Supervises and assists other writers, including freelance writers, when assigned or appropriate
- Archives collected information and photos/videos from research and interviews in a manner that allows potential revisiting for expanded/future articles
- Performs other duties pertinent to this job as required
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Bachelor degree in communication, public relations, marketing, journalism, English literature, or a related field
- Minimum 3 years of professional writing experience
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Computer proficiency (Microsoft Excel/Word/PowerPoint) and minimum Web knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- Strong ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously along with commitment to deadlines
- Strong interpretation and communication skills
- Ability to work in a group as well as independently, particularly in coordinating and completing projects for online and print publication
- Creativity and critical thinking
- Experience in Business/Economics writing is a plus
- Fluency in Arabic
- Familiarity with LAU campuses, faculty, staff, students or alumni
- Familiarity with the higher education field
- Basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop is an asset, as are digital photography skills
Interested candidates should email their CVs with a letter of interest outlining the applicant’s relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying the job title in the subject line, along with samples of their work:
- Two long-form articles (at least two pages long or approximately 800 words)
- Two short-form articles (one page long or approximately 400 words)
CVs should include the exact month and year while listing the candidate’s professional experience and educational background.
Closing date for accepting applications is Thursday, November 24, 2022.
No applications will be accepted after this date, and only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
The Lebanese American University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.