Centers & Institutes / Institute for Peace and Justice Education/
The mission of the Institute for Peace and Justice Education is to promote the creation of a peaceful, just, democratic, and humane society in harmony with nature by
- raising awareness of poverty, inequalities in social, economic, and educational opportunity, lack of cultural, social, economic and political freedoms; their root causes and the suffering they inflict; the extent to which they contribute to social frustration and create a climate of conflict;
- raising awareness of the importance of sustainable development, the interconnectedness of the Earths systems, both human and environmental, which transcend the often arbitrary human-made boundaries, and to what extent the well-being of each component influences the others;
- establishing a national identity within the structure of the University which transcends sectarian and confessional loyalties and fosters critical, open debate on issues related to peace and justice;
- creating and sustaining a climate of tolerance and a sense of civic duty and social responsibility among students and faculty;
- promoting the values of global citizenship within the University and the community.