Dean, School of Engineering
The Lebanese American University invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean of the School of Engineering (SOE). The Lebanese American University (LAU) is a leading higher education institution in the Middle East, operating on two campuses, Beirut and Byblos, and enrolling more than 8000 students. The University is chartered by the Regents of the State University of New York and is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). The School of Engineering enrolls over 1,400 students on both campuses and offers undergraduate and graduate programs.
The Dean of Engineering is the senior academic officer of the School, and is responsible for all matters relating to academic leadership and administration, including overseeing of academic programs, faculty, staff and students on both the Beirut and Byblos campuses. The Dean will set standards for intellectual engagement and accomplishment for the School and will provide strategic vision and operational leadership to all aspects of the academic and professional programs, creating an environment that supports the School,faculty and students.
The candidate must be able to build on LAU’s strong record in engineering education, and lead the School which programs are ABET-accredited towards further recognition as a world-class provider of quality engineering education in the MENA region. The Dean should have a commitment to liberal arts education, a compelling, strategic vision and long-term goals for the School, in addition to proven implementation skills.
The Dean reports to the Provost and serves as a voting member on the Council of Deans and as a Ex-Officio member on several other University Councils.
The Dean should have the credentials, character, and commitment to secure the growth and development of the school to a preeminent position in Lebanon and the region. S/he should be a person of vision and leadership who can build strong working relationships with students, faculty, staff, administrators and industrial leaders. S/he should have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
The Dean should possess a character that embodies ethics, objectiveness, confidence, and clarity. S/he should promote and encourage an environment that fosters continuous quality improvement of the school faculty and programs.
Candidates are expected to have:
- An earned Ph.D. degree from a reputable university in one of the disciplines of the School and hold a senior academic rank as professor
- A strong undergraduate/graduate teaching record
- A well-recognized publication record
- A record of sponsored research
- A record of service to the school and university
- A record of outreach to the community and industry
- An administrative leadership record that demonstrates the ability to provide leadership to a diverse faculty
- The ability to set clear and consequential goals/plans that are particular to each department
- The ability to provide leadership to the ABET accreditation process
- The ability to improve student enrollment through appropriate recruitment strategies
- The ability to develop fund-raising strategies to support research and other academic activities
Applications should include:
- A letter outlining the applicant’s background, qualifications and vision for this position
- A curriculum vitae
- Names of five referees with contact details
You may apply here by December 2, 2018.