Assistant/Associate Professor, Multimedia Journalism
This position is no longer open.
Department: Communication, Arts and Languages
Expected start date: Fall 2022
Deadline for applying: June 30, 2022
The Department of Communication, Arts and Languages in the School of Arts and Sciences at the Lebanese American University (LAU) invites applicants to a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant or Associate Professor rank. The department is interested in applicants able to balance theory, research, critical inquiry and journalistic production abilities—with strong emphasis on new forms of multimedia, data journalism and digital innovation, teach various undergraduate and graduate courses, and contribute to developing the journalism program.
- Teach on both campuses courses in multimedia journalism, data journalism, and digital innovation.
- Actively engage in scholarly research and production, preferably related to Lebanon and the Arab region.
- Advise and mentor students in the Multimedia Journalism track, support student production and research projects, and help them connect with academic, research, and industry opportunities.
- Engage in service to the university and the department, particularly related to developing the Multimedia Journalism program and building connections with the field and industry.
- Ph.D. degree in journalism or media studies.
- Strong theoretical and critical grounding.
- Professional background in journalism and/or practical journalistic experience, particularly in new forms of multimedia, data journalism and digital innovation.
- Evidence of successful university‑level teaching and training.
- Demonstrated interest in Lebanese and Arab media.
- Evidence of scholarship and research productivity focused preferably on journalism in Lebanon and the Arab world.
Note: Applicants whose profile does not meet the above qualification will not be considered by the Search Committee.
- A broad professional and/or academic background with experience working in or researching data journalism.
- Experience in producing professional journalistic content, using the latest news forms and technologies, especially data journalism.
- Mastery of various quantitative or qualitative research methods, or both.
- Ability to teach data journalism, digital innovation, multimedia journalism, data visualization, media analytics, new media business models, media literacy and other specialized research areas.
- Evidence of fund-raising abilities and experience in developing and leading major projects and international programs, such as
- Evidence of fund-raising abilities and experience in developing and leading major research projects and international programs, such as conferences, study abroad, and exchange programs.
- Knowledge of new digital and data methodologies and approaches, both in research and media production.
- Arabic fluency is a plus.
The Department of Communication, Arts and Languages (CAL) is a multidisciplinary entity at LAU encompassing the various branches of arts in the School of Arts and Sciences. This includes Literature, Language, Performing Arts, Visual Arts, Communication (multimedia journalism and communication programs), and Humanities. It also hosts the Academic English Sequence that serves all students. The department adopts innovative education based, mainly, on Liberal Arts, and aims to promote the culture of learning which dovetails theory and practice, and enhances the culture of critical, analytical and creative thinking. It offers nine undergraduate BA degrees in addition to several minors in relevant disciplines. It also endeavors to fulfill the mission of LAU and the School by educating young learners in Lebanon, the region and beyond, by advancing scholarship, and by contributing to preparing students to serve the common good of their communities and humanity at large. Information about the department can be found at https://soas.lau.edu.lb/academics/departments/communication-arts-languages/
The Lebanese American University is an Equal Opportunity Employer operating in Lebanon under a charter from the Regents of the State University of New York. Information about the University can be found at http://www.lau.edu.lb.
Prospective candidates should apply electronically by sending a letter of interest including a statement of teaching and research interests, and an updated CV by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The CV should include the names, emails and phone numbers of three references. The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process.
Candidates must refer to position no. AS-23-10 in the subject line of the email.