Visiting Artist in Residence, Communication Arts
This position is no longer open.
Department: Communication Arts
Expected start date: Fall 2022
Deadline for applying: September 30, 2021
The Department of Communication Arts in the School of Arts and Sciences at the Lebanese American University (LAU) invites applicants to a non-tenure track visiting faculty position appointed on the basis of outstanding professional attainments, creative accomplishments, and recognition in a specific communication arts field. This is an open rank position that varies according to the academic needs of the various department programs. The department is interested in applicants able to balance theory, research, critical inquiry and professional/artistic production abilities.
The special interest for AY2020-2021 is in the areas of acting for the screen and live performances. The selected resident is expected to teach various undergraduate and graduate courses and perform other tasks, such as: conduct research (scientific and/or art-based), contribute to developing curricula, and organize artistic and/or research-focused events in the Department of Communication Arts. This non-tenure track position ranges from one semester to two years.
- Teach on both campuses courses in her/his area of expertise.
- Advise and mentor students and support student production projects and activities.
- Actively engage in high caliber scholarly and/or artistic production.
- Engage in service to the university and the department, particularly related to developing new programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels and organizing artistic and/or research-focused events.
Minimum Qualifications (AY2020-21):
- MA/MFA degree
- At least 12 years professional experience in communication arts, especially the performing arts.
- Evidence of successful teaching.
- Evidence of a strong artistic and/or research portfolio.
Preferred Qualifications (AY2020-21):
- Ph.D. degree.
- Ability to produce high caliber/world-class research-based art within the field of performing arts, especially acting for the screen and for the stage.
- Evidence of fundraising abilities and experience in developing and leading major projects and international programs, such as festivals and study abroad and exchange programs.
- Strong network of artists in the performing arts and/or film industries.
The Department of Communication Arts offers a broad-based liberal arts curriculum that balances theory, research, professional practice and critical inquiry, and prepares students to become innovative, professional, and ethical communicators ready to thrive in a rapidly evolving field and industry. The department offers programs in multimedia journalism, television and film, communication, and the performing arts (music, theater and dance). The department is dedicated to excellence in the production and diffusion of knowledge and the critical practice of media, film and the performing arts. It aims to develop civically engaged and informed citizens capable of reflecting on local and global issues. It strives to graduate ethical scholars, artists, and professionals in the various communication fields and specialties. Information about the department can be found at http://comm.lau.edu.lb
The Lebanese American University is an Equal Opportunity Employer operating in Lebanon under a charter from the Regents of the State University of New York. Information about the University can be found at http://www.lau.edu.lb
Prospective candidates should apply electronically by sending a letter of interest including a statement of teaching and research interests, an updated CV, and unofficial transcripts by email to: email@example.com. The CV should include the names, emails and phone numbers of three references. The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process. Candidates must refer to position no. AS-20-34, in the subject line of the email.