Assistant/Associate Professor, Literature & Creative Writing
Program: BA English
Department: Communication, Arts & Languages
Expected start date: Fall 2024
Deadline for applying: March 15, 2024
The BA English Program in the Department of Communication, Arts & Languages, in the School of Arts and Sciences at the Lebanese American University (LAU) invites applicants to a tenure-track position at either Assistant Professor or Associate Professor rank. The department is interested in applicants with expertise in English Literature and Creative Writing, who can contribute to program, department and school initiatives.
- Teach literature and creative writing courses based on program needs.
- Develop and diversify the English literature curriculum.
- Uphold a track record of research publications.
- Raise the research profile of the Arts & Humanities in the department.
- Advise and mentor students.
- Engage in service to the program, department, and the university.
- Fulfill additional duties set by the department in light of departmental needs and priorities.
- A Ph.D. in English Literature, Comparative Literature, or Creative Writing from a recognized University in Europe or the United States.
- Evidence of scholarship and research productivity.
- Evidence of successful university teaching.
- Demonstration of effective teaching methods and delivery.
- Ability to teach period literature, such as medieval, Renaissance, Early Modern, Victorian, or Early American literature.
- Teaching and/or research interest in Auto/Biography, Comparative Literature, or the Digital Humanities.
- Ability to develop grant proposals.
The English Program:
The BA English Program, under the Department of Communication, Arts and Languages (CAL), allows students to emphasize one of three tracks – students curate the emphasis of their studies by choosing a combination of literature, language, and creative writing classes. The English Program consists of nine full-time tenure-track faculty and a number of part-time faculty. We are dedicated to excellence in teaching and research, and are committed to student-centerdness and to serving the community.
The Department of Communication, Arts and Languages (CAL) is a multidisciplinary entity at LAU encompassing the various branches of arts in the School of Arts and Sciences. This includes Literature, Language, Performing Arts, Visual Arts, Communication (multimedia journalism and communication programs), and Humanities. It also hosts the Academic English Sequence that serves all students. The department adopts innovative education based, mainly, on Liberal Arts, and aims to promote the culture of learning which dovetails theory and practice, and enhances the culture of critical, analytical and creative thinking. It offers nine undergraduate BA degrees in addition to several minors in relevant disciplines. It also endeavors to fulfill the mission of LAU and the School by educating young learners in Lebanon, the region and beyond, by advancing scholarship, and by contributing to preparing students to serve the common good of their communities and humanity at large. Information about the department can be found at https://soas.lau.edu.lb/academics/departments/communication-arts-languages/ .
Applicants should submit a cover letter, a curriculum vitae including contact information for a minimum of three referees, a research statement, and a teaching statement. Application should be sent by email to: email@example.com .
Candidates must refer to position no. AS-25-12 in the subject line of the email.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
The Lebanese American University is an Equal Opportunity Employer operating in Lebanon under a charter from the Regents of the State University of New York. Information about the University can be found at http://www.lau.edu.lb .