Assistant/Associate Professor, Translation
School of Arts and Sciences
Department: Communication, Arts and Languages
Expected start date: Fall 2023
Deadline for applying: March 30, 2023
The Department of Communication, Arts and Languages at the Lebanese American University invites applicants for a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor in Translation. The department is seeking a qualified and motivated full-time faculty member who is committed to innovative teaching, research, and academic advising. Preference will be given to applicants who are able to undertake interdisciplinary research and teaching that combines translation studies and other disciplines such as literature, linguistics, terminology, journalism, or media. Expertise related to the use of CAT tools will be an asset.
- Publish research and contribute to the department’s research activities
- Teach English-Arabic/Arabic-English translation courses at the undergraduate level
- Supervise senior study projects
- Supervise students’ internships
- Advise and mentor students
- Contribute to the development of the program
- Engage in service to the department, the school and the university
- Additional duties may be set by the department in light of departmental needs and priorities
- A PhD in Translation Studies from a well-recognized university
- Evidence of an active and evolving research profile
- Evidence of an established research agenda targeting high impact journals
- Specialization in one or two interdisciplinary fields of translation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills particularly in English and Arabic (Knowledge of French will be an asset)
The Department of Communication, Arts and Languages (C,AL) is a multidisciplinary entity at LAU encompassing the various branches of arts in the School of Arts and Sciences. This includes Literature, Language, Performing Arts, Visual Arts, Communication (multimedia journalism and communication programs), and Humanities. It also hosts the Academic English Sequence that serves all students. The department adopts innovative education based, mainly, on Liberal Arts, and aims to promote the culture of learning which dovetails theory and practice, and enhances the culture of critical, analytical and creative thinking. It offers nine undergraduate BA degrees in addition to several minors in relevant disciplines. It also endeavors to fulfill the mission of LAU and the School by educating young learners in Lebanon, the region and beyond, by advancing scholarship, and by contributing to preparing students to serve the common good of their communities and humanity at large. Information about the department can be found at https://soas.lau.edu.lb/academics/departments/communication-arts-languages/
The Lebanese American University is an Equal Opportunity Employer operating in Lebanon under a charter from the Regents of the State University of New York. Information about the University can be found at http://www.lau.edu.lb.
Prospective candidates should apply electronically by sending a letter of interest including a statement of teaching, research interests, as well as professional and creative projects, an updated CV, and unofficial transcripts by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The CV should include the names, e-mails and phone numbers of three references. The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process.
Candidates must refer to position no. AS-24-10, in the subject line of the email