Apply to LAU

Financial Aid

Frequently Asked Questions

Basic Questions

What’s the difference between financial aid and scholarships?

A scholarship is a grant that covers part or all of your university fees. In special cases, scholarships would also provide stipends for day-to-day expenses and materials. Whereas financial aid is every other type of financial assistance we offer: the work-study program, grants, bank loans, etc.

What’s the difference between student employment and work-study?

Work-study is a basic part of LAU’s financial aid program and is granted depending on need and budget constraints. Student employment is based on requests from LAU offices/divisions and is for students with specific skills.

What’s the difference between graduate assistantships and other forms of financial aid?

Graduate assistantships are granted by schools, per certain criteria, to a number of master’s degree students, whereas other forms of financial aid are granted by the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office.


How many credits should I be registered in to be eligible for financial aid?

12 credits in a regular semester (unless there are course restrictions or a student is graduating), or 5 billed credits in the summer semester.

What are possible constraints to financial aid eligibility?

Are Intensive English students eligible for financial aid?


Is it true that students who benefit from outside help may not apply for financial aid?

It’s not true. Outside help does not preclude a deserving student from getting financial aid from LAU. However, outside help should be declared to LAU and the total aid (from all sources) should never exceed overall tuition plus certain charges.

If my brother or sister had, or has, financial aid at LAU, does that mean I will be automatically entitled as well?

Not necessarily. Files are studied individually and decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.

Are LAU-arranged bank loans available to all students?

No, only to Medical and Pharm.D. students.


When should I apply for financial aid?

Check regular financial aid related announcements on this page.

When should I apply for a restricted grant?

Simultaneously with the financial aid application.

What happens if I miss the deadline?

Such cases are studied individually. Applicants are urged to abide by the deadlines.

What documents are needed when applying for financial aid?

All documents needed are listed on the financial aid application webpage.

If I’m starting in summer, can I apply for financial aid for summer?



Can I benefit from financial aid during my first term of enrollment?


I started in the spring term. Does this mean my financial aid is valid until next spring term?

No. The decision expires at the end of the current academic year. To maintain your aid you should re-apply for the next academic year within set deadlines.

If I am granted financial aid but I don’t enroll in that term, will the decision be automatically carried forward to the next term?

Yes, if the applicant is joining the program in the same academic year in which the decision is made.

Is it true that a student who was previously rejected and is now petitioning for a change in decision will automatically be rejected?

No. Files are re-studied in that case. However, any stated changes should be documented.

How long can a student benefit from financial aid?

Check eligibility.

Is it true that financial aid is cancelled if a student gets a GPA below 2.00 in the first term?


How can financial aid be increased within the course of the same academic year?

By petitioning, within announced dates, to the Financial Aid Committee with documentation of new facts.

What happens if I drop out of courses (during the term)?

Nothing changes during the term. You should continue working your total allocated hours. All withdrawn credits are counted within your total credit eligibility.

Can I request a loan without being on the work-study program?


Can a student benefit from both LAU loans and LAU-arranged bank loans at the same time?


Can a student get an LAU-arranged loan (or LAU student loan) covering the whole tuition?

No. LAU grants the appropriate amount depending on need and budget constraints.

The Work-Study Program

What happens if I don’t work or complete my assigned hours?

You will be required to pay for the remaining hours as well as a prorated amount of your loans and grants.

What happens if I start working and later find out that financial aid has been revoked for any of the ineligibility reasons?

Financial aid will be stopped irrespective of whether hours have been worked or not, and you will not be paid for the worked hours. This means you will have a debt for that semester, which you will have to settle before being able to register for the next semester.

What is an e-timesheet?

An e-timesheet is an electronic form on which worked hours are recorded daily (access is denied to previous days’ records). Supervisors are expected to validate their assistants’ time sheets at the end of every month and semester.

What is an assignment letter?

An assignment letter is a form issued to each student indicating where he/she should work his/her assigned hours. These forms are distributed to students when they are initially assigned or when the work location changes. The form needs to be signed by the supervisor and submitted to the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office within the first two weeks of each semester. A student assistant who does not fulfill this requirement jeopardizes his/her own eligibility for the relevant semester.

Can a student assistant choose where to work?

No. But requests are taken into consideration when possible.

Can the employment location be changed within a semester?


Can the employment location be changed in a subsequent semester?

Yes, provided the supervisor submits a release letter.