Admission to graduate programs at LAU is granted on a selective basis to students who hold bachelor’s degrees from a recognized college or university and have demonstrated distinct academic ability and motivation by meeting the minimum requirements described below. Meeting these requirements, however, does not guarantee admission to LAU.
Before you apply
Step 1: Check the deadlines
|Admission for spring 2024||November 30|
|Admission for fall 2024||Applications are now open|
|Graduate assistantship – all programs||Contact your school for information|
Step 2: Check program-specific requirements
Applied Economics (MA)
- If you hold a bachelor’s degree with a minimum CGPA of 3.0 in economics or any related field (such as finance) or in a quantitative field (mathematics, physics, computer science, engineering, etc.), you are eligible to apply.
- If you hold a degree that is not related to the above, you will be required to take upper-level remedial courses from the Economics department, based on your undergraduate background.
Business Administration (MBA)
Applicants are expected to have a sound academic background and have completed a bachelor’s degree in business studies or equivalent from a recognized university.
Admission is granted on a selective and competitive basis to students who have demonstrated distinct academic ability and motivation by meeting at least the minimum requirements described below.
- Satisfactory proof of English language proficiency
- A 3.0 GPA on a scale of 4.0 as per LAU rules, or its equivalent
- Letters of recommendation
- Interview, if requested
Meeting these requirements does not guarantee admission to the program.
Although work experience is not a prerequisite for admission, the Graduate Admissions Committee considers applicants’ professional experience as an asset and welcomes the business experience that professionals bring to the classroom. As such, relevant work experience is viewed favorably when studying an applicant’s file.
At the discretion of the MBA and EMBA Graduate Admissions Council, applicants who are short of meeting the 3.0 GPA and/or the anticipated acceptable GMAT score/Pre-MBA course might be considered for “probationary” admission, provided they have significant relevant work experience and have met the CI minimum requirement.
Students admitted on probation will earn regular status upon the completion of 12 graduate credits with an average of at least 3.0. However, upon completing a minimum of 6 graduate credits, students are allowed to remove their probation and qualify for good standing if they score a minimum GPA of 3.2, with a minimum grade of B in their two or three courses and without any repeats.
Doctor of Medicine (MD)
Information on admission requirement for the Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) is available in the School of Medicine website.
Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD)
If you are applying to the PharmD program, you should hold a bachelor’s degree in pharmacy from an Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE)–accredited college or university. Submit your application to the School of Pharmacy. You will be required to take an interview with the school’s Admissions Committee.
- You are required to submit a copy of your CV along with your application.
- If your undergraduate major isn’t in engineering, you should consult with the School of Engineering directly about admission requirements. Please check the end of this document for more information.
Executive Business Administration (EMBA)
Applicants to the EMBA program are expected to have professional preparation and accomplishments combined with a sound academic background. Applicants who hold executive positions are given priority. Prospective applicants must have completed a bachelor’s degree in business studies or equivalent from a recognized university. Admission is granted on a selective and competitive basis to those who have demonstrated aptitude for distinct leadership and career enhancement, and possess managerial skills, increased workplace responsibilities, high ethical standards, perseverance, intellectual curiosity and academic ability and motivation by meeting at least the minimum requirements described below.
With regard to the admission criterion for EMBA, the applicant is expected to have:
- A minimum of six years of working experience in a middle management or higher supervisory position.
- An interview for assessment by the admissions committee.
Interdisciplinary Gender Studies (MA)
You should hold an undergraduate degree of high standing within the field of the humanities, communication, history, anthropology, or social sciences and pass the university’s English language proficiency exam. If you have no background in interdisciplinary gender studies, you will be required to take up to three relevant undergraduate courses at LAU.
Islamic Art (MA)
If you have a Bachelor of Architecture degree:
- A GPA of 2.75 or higher
- Statement of interest
- Sample articles (essays written by the candidate for undergraduate courses in history and theory of art/architecture/design)
If you have a bachelor’s degree in another field*:
- A GPA of 2.75 or higher
- Statement of interest
- Sample articles (essays written by the candidate for undergraduate courses in their fields)
*Applicants without a Bachelor of Architecture must complete an additional 9 credits of remedial courses to be decided by the program director.
Pharmaceutical Development and Management (MS)
Applicants seeking admission to the master’s program in Pharmaceutical Development and Management must have earned a professional degree in pharmacy (BS or PharmD), or majored in chemistry or any of the biological sciences (e.g., biology, biochemistry) at a recognized university or program. Find out more about specific admission requirements for the MS in Pharmaceutical Development and Management.
- One recent passport-size photo.
- A photocopy of your identity card or passport (should be the same as the nationality to be used in the registration process at LAU).
- A clear photocopy of your Family Civil Status record (For Lebanese and Arab nationals)
- Certified copies of educational or professional certificates or diplomas.
- Official updated university transcripts from all universities you attended, along with course descriptions of all completed courses Failure to declare enrollment at other institutions could result in an invalidation of admission and any credits or degrees earned. Request your university to send us an official online copy of your transcript. If this option is not available at your university, upload a copy of your transcript in a one file document and request your university to mail your Official transcript to our mailing address.
- Equivalency of your bachelor’s degree from the Lebanese Ministry of Higher Education (depending on the university/college you attended).
- Recommendations from two professors who are familiar with your academic performance. In addition, if you have work experience, you should supply a certificate of employment.
- The W-9S form (available on www.irs.gov) if you are a U.S. citizen or a U.S. Green Card holder, with proof of your social security number. With this information, LAU is able to provide U.S. students (or parents of dependent students) with Form 1098-T that is used for American tax related purposes.
- Only completed applications will be reviewed.
- Fulfillment of the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission.
- Admission is valid for one semester only.
- Transfer of applications from one campus to another or change of major are possible if the requests are made within the set deadlines.
- The Admissions Office reserves the right to verify and request original documents of all copies submitted.
If you are required to demonstrate English proficiency, take one of the following tests:
- The Internet-based TOEFL (iBT), with a minimum score of 90. LAU code: 2595. The institutional TOEFL is not accepted.
- IELTS with a minimum of 7.
- The English Entrance Exam (EEE) administered at LAU with a minimum score of 123.
- The Duolingo English Test with a minimum score of:
- 115 for summer 2023
- 125 as of fall 2023
Learn how to send your Duolingo English Test scores.
Scores for all graduate majors:
- Applicants with EEE scores between 102 and 122, or its equivalent on the TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo English Test, have to register for Remedial English ENG009 or LAS 601, or retake and pass the English test within the first year of enrollment.
- Applicants with EEE scores below 102, or 80 on the Internet–based TOEFL (IBT), or 6.5 in IELTS, or 105 (for summer 2023) and 115 (as of fall 2023) on the Duolingo English Test will not be accepted in the graduate programs.
N.B. English proficiency exams may not be required from applicants from universities recognized by LAU where the language of instruction is English.
Step 5: View the conditions if you are a transfer student
A maximum of 6 graduate credits may be transferred from another institution recognized* by LAU, or between LAU graduate programs.
Except where otherwise specified, a maximum of 6 graduate credits taken as an undergraduate at LAU in the student’s last year, over and above the total number of credits required for graduation, may be transferred. Only courses where a grade of B or above was earned may be transferred. Transferred credits should not have been used for another degree that was a prerequisite for admission to the graduate program in which a student is enrolled.
A request for the transfer of credits should be filed at the Registrar’s Office during the student’s first semester. The petition will be reviewed by the relevant department or school, and you will be notified.
*Contact the Admissions Office to learn whether your university is recognized by LAU.
How to apply
Step 1: Fill out and submit your application
Prepare your documents and apply online.
Step 2: Pay the application fee
Application fee of $40 can be paid online using debit or credit cards (Visa or Mastercard only), or in cash through OMT or at BLOM Bank.
Step 3: Activate your Portal
After you apply and you pay your application fees, you will receive an email within 3 to 10 working days to the email address you filled out in your admission application. This email will contain your unique username and tentative password and the steps you need to follow to activate your Portal account.
The LAU Portal is a personalized online platform, log in to be able to:
- view the admission decision,
- verify your application information,
- check missing and submitted documents,
- upload and submit missing or additional documents,
- apply for graduate assistantships,
- apply for the LAU English Entrance Exam (EEE) and view the results,
- check Important dates,
- and much more…
Questions? Please contact the Admissions Office.
Step 4: Finance your education
On your Portal, view your admissions package:
- the major you are accepted to,
- acceptance letter,
- deposit payment form,
- graduate assistantship decisions,
- documents you need to fill out and submit,
- important dates for registration,
- and much more.
Questions? Please contact the Admissions Office.