University Graduate Council
The University Graduate Council (UGC) reviews, evaluates and recommends policies pertaining to the graduate studies programs of the university. This council will also work closely with the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research to uphold the general rules of the university’s graduate study programs and recommend changes when the need arises. Specifically, this council will:
- Recommend general guidelines for graduate admissions, residency requirements, eligibility for graduation, and rules and regulations pertaining to graduate studies.
- Recommend guidelines in the selection of faculty to teach graduate courses and/or supervise graduate research.
- Evaluate graduate policies of the university periodically and recommend changes that will enhance its leadership role in higher education.
- Review and recommend actions on proposals submitted by the schools to initiate new programs or amend current ones.
- Review and act on petitions of graduate students related specifically to the graduate rules and regulations. Petitions that relate to specific program rules will be acted upon by the school concerned.
- Work closely with the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research to promote faculty development activities related to graduate programs.
The UGC is composed of faculty members of the rank of associate professor or higher. There will be one elected faculty member representing each distinct school, and two elected senators of the same rank, and one graduate student and an alternate from a different campus selected by the Graduate Students Committee. The Dean of Graduate Studies and Research will be an ex-officio member of this council.
Faculty and senate committee members serve a staggered three-year term, while students serve a one-year term.
Method of Operation
The council sends its recommendations to the Council of Deans.
- Dr. Jad Abdallah (Pharmacy) Secretary
- Dr. Marie Deeb (Medicine)
- Dr. Mirvat El Sibai (Faculty Senate)
- Dr. Ali Fakih (Business)
- Dr. Hussein Hassan (Arts & Sciences)
- Dr. Jimmy Issa (Engineering and Faculty Senate) Chair
- Dr. Abdallah Kahil (Architecture & Design)