CFA program starting soon — register now
Looking for career advancement in the financial sector?
LAU’s Continuing Education Program is offering the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA®) program. Classes begin on November 27, 2014 at LAU’s Solidere executive center.
Register today and benefit from the 20% special discount for LAU students/grads. For more information contact 01-786456, ext. 1964, or email: email@example.com.
Important notice – week of November 3
Important notice for students and faculty:
- Monday November 3 is a regular class day.
- Ashoura is on Tuesday November 4.
- Saturday November 8 will be a class day on a Tuesday schedule.
NEASC reaccreditation visit notice
Lebanese American University will undergo a comprehensive evaluation visit November 2–5, 2014, by a team representing the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (CIHE-NEASC).
The Commission on Institutions of Higher Education is one of eight accrediting commissions in the United States that provide institutional accreditation on a regional basis. Accreditation is voluntary and applies to the institution as a whole. The Commission, which is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, accredits approximately 200 institutions in the six-state New England region.
Lebanese American University has been candidate for accreditation by the Commission since 2007 and was last reviewed in November 2009. For the past year and a half, Lebanese American University has been engaged in a process of self-study, addressing the Commission’s Standards for Accreditation and also addressing special areas that the Commission asked LAU to concentrate on. An evaluation team will visit the institution to gather evidence that the self-study is thorough and accurate.
The team will recommend to the Commission a decision concerning the status of the institution; following a review process, the Commission itself will take the final action.
The public is invited to submit comments regarding the institution to:
Public Comment on Lebanese American University
Commission on Institutions of Higher Education
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
3 Burlington Woods Drive, Suite 100
Burlington, MA 01803
Comments must address substantive matters related to the quality of the institution.
Comments will not be treated as confidential.
Written, signed comments must be received by November 5, 2014. The Commission cannot guarantee that comments received after that due date will be considered. Comments should include the name, address, and telephone number of the person providing the comments.
The Commission cannot settle disputes between individuals and institutions, whether those involve faculty, students, administrators, or members of other groups. Individuals considering submitting complaints against an affiliated institution should request the separate Policy and Procedures for the Consideration of Complaints Made Against Affiliated Institutions from the Commission office.
LAU at the Beirut Marathon: Register Now
Run with LAU on November 9 and promote the spirit of unity and national solidarity we all yearn for.
Register through Friday October 17, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m., by the Beirut campus upper gate or the Byblos campus fountain.
LAU is participating for the 10th consecutive year, under the motto “LAU Runs for One Lebanon,” in reference to a local NGO promoting its cause in this year’s event.
“One Lebanon” is an apolitical cultural movement gathering people who believe in the importance of unity. It aims to influence the collective attitude of Lebanese youth by fostering convergence, dialogue, cooperation, and exchange of experiences, through cultural activities.
Come one, come all!
New issue of LAU Magazine & Alumni Bulletin is out
The fall issue of LAU Magazine and Alumni Bulletin, “Beat Route,” is now available online and in print.
This issue traces the important role that music plays in the life of the individual and how this role has evolved through the generations, both as an educational necessity and means of social interaction. By using the wealth of musical talent at LAU both past and present—as well as Lebanon’s extensive music history—the magazine takes a look at music as an art and in education.
Call for papers: International conference on religions and political values
In accordance with the Lebanese Government’s decision, Eid Al-Fitr will be extended to include Wednesday July 30, 2014.
Payment of SINARC fees for Fall 2014
Note the following dates:
The deadline for payment of deposit: August 15, 2014.
The remaining balance should be paid before: August 31, 2014.
TEDxLAU 2014: Open call for speakers
Are you passionate about an idea and want the whole world to know about it? Will it inspire, inform, shock, or move our audience into action? Do you have an amazing story to share or have you experienced something so captivating that it must be re-told?
We’ve had two main events so far (we’ve been at this TEDx business since 2012 and are loving it!) and we are looking for speakers who understand the great experience that such a volunteer-run TEDx event brings to our university and country.
Are you still interested in giving a talk?
This August, we want those who will stand on a stage and engage an entire audience by inspiring imaginations, empowering others to take action in an authentic style. These TEDxTalks will be filmed and posted online, to inspire and spark connection even beyond the walls of our own theater.
So who are we looking for?
- The inventor – sharing an innovation with world-changing potential
- The teacher – sharing valuable knowledge in a memorable way to teenagers or adults
- The prodigy – young talent ready to break out
- The artist – showcasing inspiring work in a compelling new way
- The performer – music, comedy, dance, drama or something completely different
- The sage – wisdom the world needs from those who have learned it the hard way
- The enthusiast – with an infectious passion about a topic they can share
- The change agent – helping shape the world’s future with work that matters
- The storyteller – vivid, original and meaningful, with a talent for connection
- The spark – with a powerful idea worth spreading
Topics can range from technology, design and entertainment to art, environmental science, leadership, entrepreneurship, finance, marketing and more! Your creativity’s the limit!
Think you have what it takes?
Give us the highlights right now! Submit your idea using this form.
Deadline for submission: June 1, 2014
For more details, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration for Women’s race 2014
For the 2nd consecutive year, LAU is participating in the Women’s Race which is organized by the Beirut Marathon Association under the auspices of the Lebanese First Lady, Mrs. Wafaa Sleiman, on May 4th, 2014.
This year, OCE is partnering with the Institute for Women’s Studies in the Arab World (IWSAW) in support of the National Commission for Lebanese Women and the Campaign to Protect Minors from Early Marriage.
Our campaign’s motto is: “It’s your Right to Run, Run for Your Right”.
Registration for the race at LAU will be as follows:
- Beirut Campus: Monday April 7-Friday April11- from 9:00 A.M. till 3:00 P.M.; booth located at the upper gate; for those interested in registering you can still pass by the OCE offices in LRC level 5 room 507 between 10:00 A.M. and 2:00 P.M. during the week of April 14;
- Byblos campus: Monday April 14-Thursday April 17; from 9:00 A.M. till 3:00 P.M.; Booth located at the fountain area.
Among the races available for registration is the 5 KM (Run for a Cause) race open for men and women (20,000LL registration fee).
As always, we count on the LAU spirit to have many of you register and run as an integral part of the LAU team!
CISA–CISM prep courses
The Continuing Education Program is pleased to announce its upcoming CISA and CISM preparatory courses, starting April 22. For information, please call 01-786456, ext. 1278.
New academic program: M.A. in Applied Economics
The School of Business is pleased to announce the launching of its M.A. in Applied Economics as of Fall 2014. Please follow the link for details about the program.
Creative writing competition
The department of English Language Instruction invites you to participate in its first annual LAU student creative writing competition.
- Writing categories: short stories (2,500-3,000 words) or essays (1,500-2,000 words).
- For submission details, please email email@example.com
- Prizes for winning entries: two iPads and two iPods
- Deadline: April 11, 2014.
- The competition is open to undergraduate students only.
- Topics: create your tomorrow In Lebanon, what would make Lebanon a haven, so you can decide to stay?
In compliance with the governmental decision, all LAU offices will be closed on Friday February 14.
Opening of the LAU Early Childhood Center
The Department of Education in the School of Arts and Sciences is happy to announce the opening of the LAU Early Childhood Center (ECC) as of spring 2014.
An open house for the ECC will take place on February 5 and 6, 2014 from 10:00am to 2:00pm. The ECC will officially open on February 13, 2014.
- Opening day: February 13, 2014
- The monthly tuition cost is $600 until 2:30pm and $50 per additional hour (until 4:30pm)
- A 25% discount will be offered to all LAU faculty, staff & students
- We accept children between 20 months (1 year 8 months) – 3.5 years of age
- Registration is now open for Spring and Fall 2014
- There is a one-time, non-refundable registration fee of $50
- We accept applications on a monthly basis
Kindly note that places are limited and children are registered on a first come, first served basis.
If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to call us at extensions: 1965 or 1265. Visits to the ECC are also welcome.
For more details and to learn about the ECC curriculum, please visit our website: http://sas.lau.edu.lb/institutes/ecc