CEP: Q&A session, workshops
Project Management Professional
Are you interested in a globally recognized certification aimed at enhancing project managers’ skills, to successfully lead and direct projects? CEP is offering a Q&A session for the Project Management Professional (PMP®) certification January 4 at 6:00 pm at LAU, Beirut campus. For more information, contact our program coordinator on 01-786456 extension 1964, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Develop an understanding of the importance of proper business manners. Join CEP in a workshop about Business Etiquette on January 5 at LAU, Beirut Campus. Seats are limited; register today. Call 01-786456 extension 1953 or e-mail email@example.com.
Lebanese Labor Law
Are you aware of your employment rights and privileges? Be the first to register with CEP for the Lebanese Labor Law workshop offered on January 18 at LAU, Beirut Campus. Places are limited. For more information contact us on 01-786456 extension 1953/1957 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
CEP: Q&A sessions
Whether you are a student, a professional changing careers or already serving as a subject matter expert on project teams, CAPM® or PMP® can get your career on the right path and take it to the next level. Attend a free Q&A session December 21 at 6 PM. Contact CEP on 01-786456 ext: 1964 or email: email@example.com.
LAU’s Social Work Club (Beirut campus) is holding a four-day bake sale in collaboration with Qitaf on the following schedule:
- December 18-19: Upper Gate (12-2 PM)
- December 20-21: Business Building (12-2 PM)
Proceeds will be used by Qitaf to renovate public schools and help refugees.
Food donations drive
LAU’s Social Work Club and the Lebanese Food Bank are collaborating to collect food donations for the poor. Donations may be dropped at any of the boxes set up at these locations, from December 18 to January 17:
- Lower Gate
- Nicol Hall Entrance
- Business Building Entrance
CEP: Q&A on (Senior) Professional in Human Resources certification
Are you in the HR Profession? Advance in your career and play a leadership role in supporting your organization’s goal. Join us on December 13, 2012 at 6:00pm at LAU-Beirut Campus for a Q&A session about the Professional in Human Resources (PHR®) and Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR®) designations. Contact CEP for your seat reservation on 01-786456, ext. 1964 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Participate in the Mary Turner Lane Award competition
The Institute for Women’s Studies in the Arab World invites all LAU students to participate in the Mary Turner Lane Award competition. The $500 award will go to the best research paper on women/gender studies or original piece of writing such as personal or argumentative essay, (possibly but not necessarily) completed as one of the requirements of a class taken at LAU (literature, language, social sciences, cultural studies, philosophy, education etc.). The deadline to submit your paper is March 31, 2013. More information.
See also: Last year’s winners.
LAU @ Beirut Marathon 2012
Join us if you can to celebrate LAU’s civic engagement spirit
Dear LAU community
For the 8th consecutive year, LAU will be proudly participating in the annual Beirut Marathon on November 11, 2012 at the sea side near Riviera Hotel at 9.00am
This is by far, one of the most exciting, thrilling , and entertaining event that LAU participates in and we always count on you to join us, if your schedule permits, in order to demonstrate your pride of being members of the LAU community. We will have a stage set-up with music and a dance talent show performed by LAU students who will, as usual, give an outstanding performance all while demonstrating their loyalty and commitment to promote the civic engagement spirit of LAU.
This is a day you don’t want to miss.
Upcoming CEP sessions
- Whether you are a student, a professional changing careers or already serving as a subject matter expert on project teams, CAPM® or PMP® can get your career to the next level. CEP will start its courses on November 12, 2012. For information, call CEP on 01-786456, ext: 1964 or email email@example.com.
- Start planning your career in finance. Attend a Q&A session about the CEP’s Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA®) preparatory program on November 13, 2012 from 6 pm to 7 PM. Reserve your seat today by contacting the CEP team on 01-786456, ext. 1964, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Financial aid applications
Due to the tragic events of Friday October 19, all exams previously scheduled for SaturdayOctober 21, Monday October 22, and Tuesday October 23, were postponed. The new schedules for said exams will be communicated to students via their respective schools and departments.
As of Wednesday October 24, all classes and exams will resume in accordance with their normal schedules. Thank you.
LAU open on Monday October 22
LAU will be open on Monday October 22, 2012. Please check this space for further announcements should any new developments occur.
LAU closed October 20
In light of the tragic events which took place on Friday, and considering the decision of the government which called for a national day of mourning tomorrow, LAU will be closed on Saturday October 20, 2012.
All classes and exams will be postponed, and make-ups will be scheduled at a later date.
Our condolences go out to all those affected so tragically by these sad events.
CEP: NGO capacity building, project management, English for lawyers, preschool education
The Continuing Education Program at LAU is glad to announce the following sessions.
- Get to know more about the Preschool Education Program offered by CEP? Attend a one-hour Q&A session on October 29 at 5 PM at LAU, Beirut Campus. For seat reservation, please contact CEP on 01-786456 ext. 1985 or email email@example.com.
- Interested in running your own NGO? Are you employed at an NGO and looking for a program that builds and enhances your skills? Enroll today in the “Capacity Building for NGOs” program. Classes start on November 5. Contact the CEP staff on 01-786456 ext . 1953 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Are you interested in a globally recognized certification aimed at enhancing project management skills to lead and direct projects? CEP and the Safadi Foundation in partnership with Promastar are offering a Q&A session about PMP® on November 8. For reservations and information, please contact the CEP team on 1290, ext. 222 or email email@example.com.
- Do you want to build your confidence in interpreting contracts? Do you want to improve your English presentation and writing skills? CEP and the Safadi Foundation are offering a Q&A session about our “English for Lawyers” program at the Order of Lawyers November 8 at 12 PM. For reservations and information, please contact us on 1290 ext. 222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Late payment of tuition fees
What to do? You should immediately submit a petition for “late payment” with a valid excuse carrying your instructors’ signatures to the Registrar’s Office . Once the petition is approved, you can proceed to pay your fees with a late fee of $232 by November 2 at the latest.
WARNING! if you fail to submit the petition or pay the fees by October 30, your registration will be permanently deleted!
CEP courses in Tripoli
English for Professionals
Do you need to improve your writing and conversational skills? Benefit from the English for Professionals courses – levels I & II, starting October 15, 2012 in Tripoli. For information on fees and course calendars please contact our staff on 1290, extension 222 or email: email@example.com.
Prepare for the SAT (English) test starting October 15, 2012. For information on fees and course calendars please contact our staff on 1290 extension 222 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Clubs sign-up now online for Byblos students
Clubs sign-up now online
Beirut campus students can join any club during the sign-up days on Thursday October 4 & Friday October 5. FUN starts from here.
Online request for transcripts and certificates
Dear students and alumni,
We are pleased to launch an easy and convenient new on-line service for ordering transcripts and certificates.
The steps to access this service are at the LAU Website.
While placing your order, you can validate, negate and confirm your request.
Note that charges are $7 per transcript and $4 per certificate or authentication*. You will be able to pay on-line or add the charge to your student account. A credit card payment option will be available soon.
The Registrar’s Office
* U.S. dollars
Study in France next spring
New student orientation
Project Management Professional® classes
Are you interested in a globally recognized and demanded certification in project management? CEP is offering Project Management Professional (PMP®) classes as of September 3, 2012 at LAU’s Beirut Campus. For more information contact 01-786456 ext. 1964.
Graduate assistantships at the School of Business
School of Business graduate students who wish to benefit from an assistantship for the academic year 2012–2013 should see Mr. Hisham Hashash between August 13 and September 14.
Location: 14th floor, Room 1401 – Cooperative Learning Center
Schedule: 8 AM – 5:30 PM
The documents needed with the GA application are:
- Academic Transcript
- GMAT Scores
The Continuing Education Program is now offering a one-day workshop on the Lebanese Labor Law in the North and the Bekaa.
- CEP–Zahle: August 11 at Secondary Evangelical School of Zahle. For registration and more information contact 08-800979 or 08-800214.
- CEP–Tripoli: August 25 at the Safadi Foundation in Tripoli. For registration and more information call 1290 extension 222.
CEP will be presenting three-hour sessions about the following Certificates and Diplomas:
- Certificate in Customer Service Excellence Training Program
- Beirut: August 29 at 6 PM. RSVP: 01-786456, ext. 1953 or email@example.com.
- Tripoli: September 4 at 4 PM. RSVP: 06-411049, ext. 222 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Zahle: August 31 at 6 PM. RSVP: 08-800214 or email@example.com.
- The Business Skills Diploma
- Beirut: August 29 at 7 PM. RSVP: 01-786456, ext. 1953 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tripoli: September 4 at 5 PM. RSVP: 06-411049, ext. 222 or email@example.com.
- Zahle: August 31 at 7 PM. RSVP: 08-800979 or 08-800214 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Business Leadership Diploma
- Beirut: August 29 at 8 PM. RSVP: 01-786456, ext. 1953 or email@example.com.
- Tripoli: September 4 at 6 PM. RSVP: 06-411049, ext. 222 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Zahle: August 31 at 8 PM. RSVP: 08-800979 or 08-800214 or email@example.com.
CAPP offline for maintenance
New Commencement Website
CEP Business Etiquette Workshop
Join CEP Business Etiquette workshop @ LAU Beirut.
Date: June 30, 2012.
For more information please contact CEP: 01-786456 ext. 1953.
Financial Aid activation for Summer 2012
If you wish to benefit from Financial Aid this Summer 2012, please pass by the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office.
Location: Alumni Faculty & Staff Lounge, Irwin building, 1st floor
For Summer I: June 21–28, 2012 / 9:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m.
For Summer II: August 2–9, 2012 / 9:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m.
Project Management Professional @ CEP
If you are interested in a globally recognized and demanded certification aimed at enhancing Project Managers to successfully lead and direct projects register for CEP’s Project Management Professional (PMP®) classes.
Starting date: July 2,2012 @ LAU Beirut Campus.
Special discounts are offered to all university students.
For more information contact 01-786456 ext: 1964 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Medical insurance for new students & returnees/Summer I 2012
The medical coverage premiums for new students and returnees who reactivated their files for Summer I 2012 are as follows:
- Medical insurance:$50 insures you for up to $50,000 worth of 2nd class hospitalization costs at the University Medical Center-Rizk Hospital (UMC-RH) and up to $500 emergency fees due to accidents.
- School liability:$15 insures you in case of accidents on campus or outside campus on university sponsored activities. This is mandatory for all students.
The above charges will be added to your statement of fees. If you already have outside Medical Insurance, present a photocopy of a valid insurance card as proof to waive insurance charges (expiry date preferably not before the end of the academic year, i.e. September 2012). If your medical insurance expires before the end of the academic year, you are required to supply HR with a copy of the renewed card as soon as you have it.
An HR hold will be placed on your records. To be able to register, you must proceed to the HR desk as per the below dates and locations for hold removal and submission of the necessary insurance proof (if any):
- Date : June 18-22, 2012
- Time: 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. & 1:00-3:00 p.m.
- Beirut campus: HR Office, Faculty Apartments Bldg., 2nd floor
- Byblos campus: HR Office, Dorm A, Room 615
Check with your parents if you’re not sure about your medical insurance status. Remember that you must submit the documents before printing your statement of fees.
CEP - SAT course (Zahle)
Prepare for the CEP@LAU SAT (English and Math) course - Evangelical School of Zahle.
Starting date: July 9, 2012.
For registration and more information, please contact 08/800979, 08/800214 or email@example.com.
LAU Summer Camp - cancelled
Due to renovation construction works that are taking place on LAU Campus, we regret to inform you that the Summer Camp for 2012 will be cancelled. We look forward to welcome you again in 2013 with original, diversified and interesting activities.
CEP summer programs (Beirut)
LAU’s Continuing Education Program announces the offering of the following programs:
- The Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA®) preparatory program.
Starting date: June 27, 2012.
Contact e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Registration is open for the Professional in Human Resources (PHR®) and Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR®) programs.
Starting date: June 28, 2012.
Contact e-mail: email@example.com.
For registration and more information about the above programs, please contact the CEP office: 01-786456 Ext: 1964.
Final grades on your phone!
Check your final grades on your phone!! Learn more about the new LAU mobile application.
March at Commencement
Watch comedy, help patients
The President’s Circle at LAU invites you to a comedy night entitled "Kossa Kbireh," Monday June 11 at 8 PM in Irwin Hall, Beirut campus.
Proceeds will go to University Medical Center–Rizk Hospital patients who need financial assistance. To buy your tickets, please contact LAU’s Development Office on 01-786456, extension 1323.
CPA preparatory program
Missed the registration for the CPA Preparatory Program? You still have the chance. Hurry up! Registration is still open. Contact the Continuing Education Program on 01-786456, extension 1964.
LAU Trireme 2012 cover competition
Design a yearbook cover for a chance to win $500, in addition to having your artwork published.
This competition calls for a contemporary, fresh and attractive cover for the LAU Trireme 2012.
We are looking for a new, creative and more innovative approach to our yearbook as a whole and we would like its cover to reflect that. Unleash your creativity to come up with a design using any material (photography, painting, illustration) showing artistic value, visual quality and clarity. Keep in mind that the cover has to fit under the LAU image and identity.
- Size: 21.5 cm x 30.3 cm. You must provide front and back covers plus the size of the spine (will depend on the number of pages, around 3 cm).
- Color: CMYK.
- Software: Preferably InDesign or Illustrator.
This is a hardcover publication with cellophane matt finishing.
Send your questions and design(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for submissions: June 30, 2012
Visit to Navy Commando Regiment
A group from LAU will be watching a special demonstration by a Lebanese Navy Commando Regiment on May 19. To sign up, drop by the stand located near the Beirut campus upper gate May 14–17, between 10 AM and 3 PM.
CEP activities (Bekaa)
The Continuing Education Program at LAU is pleased to announce the following activities.
- Join us for the 1-day workshop on Succession Planning to get introduced to the latest HR tools, May 26 in Zahle. For registration and more information contact the CEP office on Tel: 08-800214.
- Interact more effectively with job candidates by enhancing your communication skills and learn how to become more attentive to details in an interview. Attend a new workshop on Behavioral Interviewing Skills offered May 28 and 30 in Zahle. For registration and information, please contact CEP’s Bekaa Office on Tel: 08-800214.
CEP activities (Tripoli and Beirut)
- “HRBP–Advanced Recruitment Strategies” workshop is now offered by CEP and Standards in Tripoli. Join us on May 8 and 10 from 5 PM to 8 PM. Acquire the recruitment strategies and methods needed to reach your company’s mission and values.
- Register today for the “Law of Contracts” workshop offered by CEP. Understand the obligations related to the legal and procedural requirements in a contract to avoid any legal gaps. The workshop is offered on LAU’s Beirut Campus on May 17 from 9 AM to 4 PM. Contact CEP on 01-786456, Ext. 1953.
- Looking for advancement in your career in HR? Join the CEP team on the Beirut campus in a Q&A session about the Professional in Human Resources (PHR®) program on May 17 from 6 PM to 8 PM. Reserve your seat today: Call 01-786456, extension 1964.
CEP at FORWARD
The Continuing Education Program is pleased to announce that it will be participating in FORWARD, the International Forum for Recruitment at BIEL, April 26–29, 4–10 PM. For more information call 01-786456, ext 1964.
CEP activities: Leadership, counseling, sales tactics
The Continuing Education Program is pleased to announce the following activities:
- Q&A session on leadership skills April 12, Beirut campus. Call 01-786456 ext. 1953.
- HRBP – counseling and disciplinary procedures workshop April 19 & 19, 6–9 PM, Beirut campus. Learn how to identify employees who need counseling and motivate them to resolve their problems. Call 01-786456 ext. 1953.
- Q&A session with CEP and Standards, about our workshops on sales tactics. April 18, Safadi Foundation, Tripoli. Call 1290, ext 222 or email email@example.com.
Workshop on managing complex situations
Learn how to analyze risks and evaluate solutions of a situation at work. Register now for the "Mind Tools – Managing Complex Situations" workshop, offered by the Continuing Education Program and Standards, on April 2 & 4, 5–8 p.m. at the Safadi Foundation in Tripoli.
For registration and inquiries please call CEP–Tripoli on 1290, extension 222.
Workshop on interviewing skills
Enhance your interviewing skills at work by attending a CEP-organized workshop on April 3 and 5 at 6 p.m. Call the CEP on 01-786456, extension 1953.
Q&A on graphic design program (continuing education)
The Continuing Education Program is offering a Q&A session about the Graphic Design program on March 29. Reserve your seat by calling 01-786456, extension 1676 or 1985.
Time & stress management workshop
The Continuing Education Program will be hosting a workshop on time and stress management on April 2 and 4. For registration and information, please contact 01-786456, extension 1953.
Learn about CISA & CISM
The Continuing Education Program will be organizing a one-hour information seminar about the Certified Information System Auditor (CISA®)and Certified Information Security Manager (CISM®). Join us on March 22, 2012 and meet the ISACA Lebanon team to explore career opportunities, program and exam information.
This will take place at the Business Building, Najla Atiyeh room (#1301), Beirut campus, at 6 PM. Contact CEP today for reservation and information: Tel: 01-786456 extension 1964; email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Late payment of fees for spring
If you still haven’t paid your tuition and fees for spring 2012, you should immediately submit to the Registrar’s Office a petition for re-instatement carrying your instructors’ signatures.
If you don’t do this and fail to pay the fees by March 27, your registration will be permanently deleted.
Spring Poetry Prize
Course for international students: Middle East Politics and World Affairs
Interested in Middle East politics? There is no better place to study Middle Eastern politics than the Lebanese American University, situated in Beirut, Lebanon.
This summer 2012, LAU is offering a three-credit, two-week intensive summer course in Middle East Politics and World Affairs (June 11–22, 2012).
The course provides an ideal opportunity to examine relevant topics in the politics of the contemporary MENA region for graduate and undergraduate international students.
Application deadline: May 31, 2012.
Please visit our webpage for more information and application requirements.
Free tutoring in mathematics
The Computer Science and Mathematics Department in Beirut offers free tutoring in the following mathematics courses: MTH111, MTH101, MTH102, MTH200, MTH201, and MTH207.
Tutoring takes place in Room 416, Orme Grey Building, according to the following schedule:
Mondays: 9:00 – 11:00 and 1:00 – 4:00
Tuesdays: 11:00 – 1:00
Wednesdays: 9:00 – 1:00
Thursdays: 11:00 – 12:00
Fridays: 11:00 – 4:00
Writing Center opening hours, spring 2012
Share your essay/paper/cv with a tutor at the LAU Writing Center (Nicol 206, Beirut campus). During spring 2012, the Center is open MWF 11am–4pm and TTh 11am–2pm. You can write to email@example.com for an appointment or simply walk in during opening hours.
Financial aid application - current students
The online financial aid application for fall 2012 will be available to current LAU students from February 27 to April 12, 2012.
Exchange scholarships to Europe available for LAU students
LAU, through two EU-funded grants — WELCOME and MEDASTAR — is offering its undergraduate and graduate students full scholarships to study in prominent EU universities for extended periods of time:
- Up to 10 months for various undergraduates disciplines
- Up to 24 months for MA/MS degrees
- Up to 36 months for Ph.D degrees.
These grants are under the umbrella of the Erasmus Mundus Action 2 initiative.
To apply for WELCOME:
Application deadline: March 31, 2012
For application and information: http://www.emwelcome.polito.it/application
For questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for MEDASTAR:
Application deadline: March 24, 2012
For application and information: http://www.medastar.eu/selection_medastar.html
For questions: email@example.com
Continuing Education Program: upcoming events
- A Q&A session about the Mind Tools (Business Soft Skills) workshops and HR the Business Partner workshop will take place on February 23 at 6 PM. Registration and information: 01-786456 extension 1964.
- Monitoring and evaluation for NGOs begins on February 10 at 5 PM. Registration and information: 01-786456 extension 1953 or 1390.
- A Guide to Fundraising for NGOs begins on 16 February at 6 PM. Registration and information: 01-786456 extension 1953 or 1390.
- The Certified Public Accountants (CPA®) launching will take place on March 5 at 6 PM. Reservations: 01-786456 extension 1964.
MEDASTAR scholarships for academic exchange
Applications are open for the Mediterranean Area for Science, Technology and Research (MEDASTAR) program.
This is a cooperation between European, Egyptian and Lebanese universities offering exchange scholarships for different academic and professional programs — undergraduate, graduate, doctorates, post-doctorates and staff.
The program’s goal is to promote science and technology initiatives in Egypt and Lebanon. The participating universities from Lebanon are LAU, AUB and USJ.
For the application and more information about the participating European universities, including the academic offers, please see the MEDASTAR website. Feel free to send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline to apply is March 24, 2012.
Mary Turner Lane Award to best paper on women/gender studies
The Institute for Women’s Studies in the Arab World invites female LAU students to participate in the Mary Turner Lane Award competition. The $500 award will go to the best research paper or original piece of writing on women/gender studies produced as part of a class taken at LAU. More information.
WELCOME project applications open
The 2012–2013 call for applications for the WELCOME project is open from January 23 to March 31, 2012.
WELCOME is an institution-based mobility and scholarship project organized by a Consortium of some the most prestigious universities in Europe, Egypt and Lebanon. WELCOME allows you to live an invaluable experience by undertaking a study or research period abroad. It is open to undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and post-doctoral students and scholars and to staff. The project and the scholarships are financed by the European Commission through the Erasmus Mundus Action 2 – Strand 1 program.
The project is open to students and scholars from Egypt, Lebanon and from the European Partner Universities willing to spend a mobility period abroad respectively in Europe and Egypt or Lebanon, for the purpose of studying, teaching, training and research. You can apply now to study and participate in this program for an enriching experience on both a personal and a professional point of view.
Students and scholars can choose from a wide variety of academic fields at different levels of study (Undergraduate, Master, Doctorate, Post-Doctorate and Staff) offered by one of the partner Universities. Scholarships will be given to applicants selected by the consortium.
The program finances the expenses engendered by the mobility, including travel costs, subsistence allowances, tuition/registration fees and insurance costs.
- Eligibility requirements and application.
- For further information: write to email@example.com.
Student elections postponed
The University’s administration has decided to indefinitely postpone the 2011–2012 student elections due to the ongoing political tension in the country. The University’s utmost priority remains the well-being of its students and stability on its campuses.
CPA preparatory program
The Continuing Education Program announces the launch of the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preparatory program on February 23. A Q&A session will be offered on January 13. For advising and registration, please contact the CEP staff on extension 1964. Early bird discounts apply.